Canada-US Trade Rift Deepens as Carney Rejects ‘Bad Deal’ and Announces Retaliatory Tariffs

by gulftimes


Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney has announced retaliatory tariffs against the United States after trade negotiations between the two longtime allies collapsed, escalating an already damaging economic dispute and raising fresh concerns about the future of North American trade relations.

Carney said Saturday that Canada had been prepared to reach a mutually beneficial agreement with Washington but ultimately rejected terms proposed by US President Donald Trump’s administration, describing them as economically damaging and unfair.

The breakdown came after Canadian and US negotiators spent much of the week in Washington attempting to resolve a series of disputes over tariffs and market access. With the talks failing, new US tariffs of 50 percent on a range of Canadian products came into force, affecting goods worth about US$20 billion, or roughly 5.5 percent of Canada’s exports to the United States.

The affected products include a wide range of Canadian goods, from hockey sticks and cement to other industrial and consumer products.

Speaking in Ottawa, Carney said Canada had entered the negotiations with the expectation that the two countries could reach an agreement.

“We believed earlier this week that we were moving towards a mutually beneficial agreement,” he said.

But, according to Carney, the US position changed during the final stages of the negotiations.

“In recent days, the United States proposed new terms that were uneconomic, unfair, and undermined the net benefits for Canada, and called into question the reliability of any deal,” he said.

“In short, they asked too much and they offered too little.”

Carney said Canada would not accept the proposed conditions.

“We cannot accept what they’ve offered, and we will not give what they’ve asked,” he said.

The Canadian prime minister went further, describing Washington’s tariff policy as a trade war.

“You’re at war when you get attacked. We got attacked,” Carney said.

Canada’s response will include new tariffs targeting US steel and dairy industries. The measures are scheduled to take effect on September 8, with Carney saying further details will be announced next week.

The move marks another major escalation in the economic confrontation between the two countries, whose economies have traditionally been deeply integrated through decades of cross-border trade and investment.

Canada has been particularly vulnerable to US tariffs because of the scale of its economic dependence on the American market. Roughly 70 percent of Canadian exports are destined for the United States, making the relationship one of the most important pillars of Canada’s economy.

Carney acknowledged that dependence while arguing that the latest dispute had demonstrated the need for Canada to diversify its economic relationships.

“We’ve been under no illusions. We recognized from the start that America has changed,” Carney told reporters Saturday.

His comments reflect a broader shift in Canadian economic strategy since Trump returned to the White House and revived an aggressive approach to tariffs and trade negotiations.

For decades, Canada and the United States have operated one of the world’s most closely integrated bilateral trading relationships. Supply chains stretch across the border in sectors ranging from automobiles and energy to agriculture, manufacturing and construction.

The latest tariff confrontation threatens to disrupt those links further.

The Trump administration has presented the negotiations differently, arguing that Washington had offered Canada substantial tariff relief in return for concessions.

US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said Friday that the United States had offered “significant tariff reductions” covering steel, aluminum, automobiles and lumber.

In return, Washington wanted Canada to make concessions on several issues that the White House considers barriers to US trade.

The White House has also accused Canada of discriminatory treatment of US alcohol, automobile and dairy products.

The tariffs were originally scheduled to take effect on Wednesday. Trump delayed their implementation by three days, saying that significant progress had been made during negotiations.

Trump has also expressed optimism about his relationship with Carney.

Speaking earlier, Trump said Washington “should be able to have a deal with Canada,” pointing to what he described as his good relationship with the Canadian prime minister.

Despite that public optimism, however, the talks ultimately failed to produce an agreement.

A senior US official, speaking on condition of anonymity, described the negotiations as candid but not acrimonious. The official said there were currently no additional meetings scheduled.

The absence of planned negotiations raises concerns that the dispute could persist unless both governments find a way to reopen discussions.

Canada has already experienced significant economic pressure from US tariffs on automobiles, steel and aluminum.

Canadian businesses have warned that tariffs are increasing production costs, disrupting supply chains and threatening jobs in industries heavily dependent on cross-border commerce.

The automotive sector is particularly exposed because vehicles and components frequently cross the US-Canada border multiple times during the manufacturing process.

Higher tariffs can therefore increase costs at several stages of production before a finished vehicle reaches consumers.

Steel and aluminum tariffs pose similar challenges because these materials are essential inputs for manufacturing, construction and transportation.

Canadian officials have argued that US tariffs ultimately hurt companies and consumers on both sides of the border by increasing costs and weakening the competitiveness of integrated North American industries.

The new Canadian measures against US steel and dairy products are intended to increase pressure on Washington while protecting Canada’s negotiating position.

Trade lawyer Ryan Majerus, a former US commerce official who now works with King & Spalding, said both countries would face pressure to find a way out of the escalating dispute.

“Both sides will face significant pressure in the coming days to find an off-ramp,” Majerus said.

That pressure could increase as businesses begin to experience the full impact of the new tariffs.

The latest confrontation also comes at a sensitive moment because Washington and Ottawa still face the much larger question of the future of the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement, or USMCA.

The trade pact replaced the North American Free Trade Agreement and governs a huge portion of economic activity across North America.

Trump has already indicated that he does not want to simply extend the existing arrangement in its current form.

Any future negotiations over the agreement could therefore become more complicated because of the latest tariff dispute.

For Canada, securing predictable access to the US market is considered essential. For Washington, the trade relationship provides American industries with access to Canadian consumers, raw materials and integrated supply chains.

The challenge for both governments will be to prevent the tariff dispute from expanding into a broader breakdown of the North American trading system.

The economic conflict has also become intertwined with political tensions between Ottawa and Washington.

Trump has repeatedly suggested that Canada could become the 51st US state, comments that have angered Canadian political leaders and strengthened nationalist sentiment in Canada.

Carney has responded by emphasizing Canadian sovereignty and the need to rethink the country’s economic dependence on its southern neighbor.

The deterioration in relations has been particularly notable because Canada and the United States have historically been among the world’s closest political, military and economic partners.

The two countries cooperate extensively on defense and border security and share a vast and highly integrated economic relationship.

But Trump’s tariff policies have increasingly challenged the assumption that the relationship will remain stable simply because of its long history.

Carney’s comments at the World Economic Forum in Davos earlier this year also appeared to irritate Trump.

In a widely discussed January speech, Carney warned that the international economic order was experiencing a “rupture,” signaling that Canada could no longer assume that longstanding alliances and economic arrangements would continue unchanged.

Since then, the Canadian prime minister has repeatedly argued that his country must reduce its dependence on the US economy.

The latest breakdown in negotiations appears to have reinforced that position.

Carney’s government now faces the difficult task of balancing retaliation against the United States with the need to protect Canadian businesses from further disruption.

Retaliatory tariffs may increase political and economic pressure on Washington, but they can also raise costs for Canadian companies and consumers if the dispute continues.

At the same time, simply accepting US demands could expose Canada to further economic pressure and weaken Ottawa’s negotiating position in future trade discussions.

The government therefore faces a delicate calculation: how far to retaliate while keeping open the possibility of renewed negotiations.

For Canada, the dispute has also accelerated a broader debate about economic diversification.

Reducing reliance on the United States would require Canada to expand trade with Europe, Asia and other international markets while improving domestic infrastructure and supply chains.

Such a shift would not happen quickly. The geographic proximity of the United States, combined with decades of integrated production networks, makes the American market uniquely important to Canada.

Nevertheless, Carney’s government increasingly sees diversification as a strategic necessity rather than simply an economic preference.

The collapse of the latest negotiations underscores the scale of that challenge.

What began as a dispute over tariffs has now evolved into a broader confrontation over the rules governing one of the world’s most integrated bilateral economic relationships.

With Canadian retaliation scheduled for September 8 and no further US-Canada meetings currently planned, pressure will mount on both governments to prevent the confrontation from escalating further.

For Carney, however, the message from Ottawa is clear: Canada is no longer prepared to accept what it considers an unequal trade arrangement simply to preserve the traditional status quo.



Source link

You may also like

Leave a Comment