Yemen’s Houthi movement says it has released the crew of the cargo ship Galaxy Leader, which its fighters seized in November 2023 at the start of their campaign of attacks on Red Sea shipping linked to the Gaza war.
Houthi-run Al Masirah TV reported that the 25 crew of the Bahamas-flagged and Japanese-operated vehicle carrier – comprising nationals from Bulgaria, Ukraine, the Philippines, Mexico and Romania – had been handed over to Oman.
The Houthi Supreme Council said the decision was “in support of Gaza and the ceasefire agreement” between Hamas and Israel that began on Sunday.
The head of the UN’s International Maritime Organization said the crew’s release was “a moment of profound relief”.
