{"id":82384,"date":"2026-02-09T12:00:00","date_gmt":"2026-02-09T12:00:00","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/gulftimes.ae\/un-calls-for-release-of-hong-kong-publisher-jimmy-lai-following-20-year-sentence\/"},"modified":"2026-02-09T12:00:00","modified_gmt":"2026-02-09T12:00:00","slug":"un-calls-for-release-of-hong-kong-publisher-jimmy-lai-following-20-year-sentence","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/gulftimes.ae\/?p=82384","title":{"rendered":"UN calls for release of Hong Kong publisher Jimmy Lai following 20-year sentence"},"content":{"rendered":"
\n
<\/p>\n
High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker T\u00fcrk deplored the sentence imposed on Mr. Lai, the 78-year-old founder of the now-shuttered pro-democracy newspaper Apple Daily, following his conviction on charges brought under security-related laws in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of China.<\/p>\n
On 15 December 2025, the High Court found Mr. Lai guilty of conspiracy to publish seditious material under the Crimes Ordinance, as well as two counts of conspiracy to collude with foreign forces under the National Security Law (NSL). \u00a0<\/p>\n
Mr. Lai has denied all charges. The court\u2019s decisions are subject to appeal.<\/p>\n
Mr. T\u00fcrk\u2019s office, OHCHR, said it had reviewed the verdict and was concerned that it criminalised the exercise of fundamental freedoms, including freedom of expression, media freedom and association.<\/p>\n
It noted that the ruling relied extensively on conduct that occurred before the NSL came into force, reiterating concerns it had previously raised about the broad scope of the offence of \u201ccollusion with external forces\u201d under the NSL.<\/p>\n
\u201cJimmy Lai is a publisher sentenced to 20 years in prison for exercising rights protected under international law,<\/strong>\u201d Mr. T\u00fcrk said.<\/p>\n \u201cThis outcome highlights how the vague and overly broad provisions<\/strong> of Hong Kong\u2019s national security legislation can lead to being interpreted and enforced in violation of Hong Kong\u2019s international human rights obligations. This verdict needs to be promptly quashed as incompatible with international law.\u201d<\/p>\n High Commissioner T\u00fcrk also appealed for Mr. Lai\u2019s immediate release on humanitarian grounds, citing his age, health and the impact of the more than four years he has already spent in detention.<\/p>\n OHCHR expressed further concern that the judgment treated engagement by others with the United Nations and UN human rights mechanisms as relevant context<\/strong> in reaching its conclusion of guilt.<\/p>\n Since the introduction of the NSL in 2020 and the Safeguarding National Security Ordinance in 2024, press freedom in Hong Kong has sharply deteriorated, with numerous independent media outlets closed down by the State, dozens of journalists arrested, and foreign reporters facing tighter visa policies and accreditation requirements.<\/p>\n \u201cThis is part of a broader repressive trend in Hong Kong, where hundreds have been arrested and prosecuted under these laws,\u201d Mr. T\u00fcrk said.<\/p>\n Alongside Mr. Lai, six former Apple Daily staff members, an activist and a paralegal were also sentenced on Monday to prison terms ranging from six to 10 years.<\/p>\nRelease on humanitarian grounds<\/h2>\n
Worsening press freedom<\/h2>\n