{"id":68211,"date":"2025-09-21T12:00:00","date_gmt":"2025-09-21T12:00:00","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/gulftimes.ae\/un-chief-sounds-alarm-over-worsening-crisis-in-sudans-el-fasher\/"},"modified":"2025-09-21T12:00:00","modified_gmt":"2025-09-21T12:00:00","slug":"un-chief-sounds-alarm-over-worsening-crisis-in-sudans-el-fasher","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/gulftimes.ae\/?p=68211","title":{"rendered":"UN chief sounds alarm over worsening crisis in Sudan\u2019s El Fasher"},"content":{"rendered":"
\n
<\/p>\n
El Fasher has been under a tightening siege by the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) for more than 500 days, with attacks against civilians intensifying in recent weeks. The majority of residents in the nearby Abu Shouk displacement camp have reportedly fled following relentless shelling and raids.<\/p>\n
\u201cThe fighting must stop now,<\/strong>\u201d Secretary-General Ant\u00f3nio Guterres said in a statement issued by his spokesperson.<\/p>\n He reiterated his call for \u201can immediate cessation of hostilities in El Fasher, as well as for the respect and protection of civilians<\/strong> and for the facilitation of safe, unhindered and sustained humanitarian access.\u201d<\/p>\n The UN chief also stressed that safe passage must be assured for civilians wishing to leave voluntarily.<\/p>\n The Secretary-General\u2019s warning followed an attack on a mosque in El Fasher on Friday that reportedly killed dozens of civilians during morning prayers.<\/p>\n UN Humanitarian Coordinator in Sudan Denise Brown said she was \u201cgravely alarmed\u201d by the strike, stressing that international humanitarian law demands the protection of religious sites and those worshipping in them.<\/p>\n \u201cIt is also a war crime to intentionally direct attacks against buildings dedicated to religion<\/strong>. This attack, reportedly carried out by the RSF, must be investigated and the perpetrators held accountable,\u201d she said in a separate statement.<\/p>\n Conditions in El Fasher and its surrounding camps have worsened dramatically since famine was identified in the area last year.<\/p>\n The risk of ethnically motivated violence is also rising as fighters advance deeper into the city.<\/p>\n Civilians continue to bear the brunt of the conflict between the RSF and the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF), which has raged since April 2023 and claimed thousands of lives and forced millions more from their homes.<\/p>\n Mr. Guterres urged both sides to swiftly engage in dialogue to halt hostilities and return to negotiations for a sustainable political solution.<\/p>\nMosque attack<\/h2>\n
Humanitarian emergency<\/h2>\n
Call for global action<\/h2>\n