{"id":56881,"date":"2025-05-15T09:45:00","date_gmt":"2025-05-15T09:45:00","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/gulftimes.ae\/us-and-iran-close-to-nuclear-deal-trump-says\/"},"modified":"2025-05-15T09:45:00","modified_gmt":"2025-05-15T09:45:00","slug":"us-and-iran-close-to-nuclear-deal-trump-says","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/gulftimes.ae\/?p=56881","title":{"rendered":"US and Iran close to nuclear deal, Trump says"},"content":{"rendered":"
\n<\/p>\n
\n
US President Donald Trump says that Iran has “sort of” agreed to the terms of a nuclear deal with the United States. <\/p>\n
Trump described the latest talks between the two countries, which ended on Sunday, as “very serious negotiations” for “long-term peace”. <\/p>\n
Earlier, an adviser to Iran’s supreme leader told NBC News that Tehran was willing to make concessions on its nuclear programme in exchange for the lifting of sanctions.<\/p>\n
The US has insisted that Iran must scrap its uranium enrichment to prevent the country developing nuclear weapons – though Iran insists its nuclear activities are entirely peaceful. <\/p>\n<\/div>\n
\n
Speaking on Thursday in Qatar, on the second stop of his multi-day Gulf tour, Trump said that a deal was close on Iran’s nuclear programme and suggested a military strike on Tehran’s sites could be avoided. <\/p>\n
“We’re not going to be making any nuclear dust in Iran,” Trump said after a meeting in Doha with business leaders. <\/p>\n
“I think we’re getting close to maybe doing a deal without having to do this.<\/p>\n
“You probably read today the story about Iran. It’s sort of agreed to the terms.” <\/p>\n
The president did not specify which remarks he was referring to, but an adviser to Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Ali Shamkhani, said in a US media interview that Tehran was willing to accept far-reaching curbs on its nuclear programme.<\/p>\n
Shamkhani told ABC News that Iran would give up stockpiles of highly enriched uranium as part of a deal in which the US lifts sanctions.<\/p>\n
The latest talks over Tehran’s nuclear programme finished on Sunday, with both sides agreeing to meet again.<\/p>\n
US Middle East Envoy Steve Witkoff said they were encouraging, while Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi described them as “difficult but useful”.<\/p>\n
Trump pulled out of a previous nuclear agreement between Iran and five other world powers in 2018.<\/p>\n
He previously warned of possible military action against Iran’s nuclear facilities if the fresh set of talks, which began in April, did not succeed.<\/p>\n
A senior US official said the latest discussions lasted more than three hours, adding: “Agreement was reached to move forward with the talks to continue working through technical elements.<\/p>\n
“We are encouraged by today’s outcome and look forward to our next meeting, which will happen in the near future.”<\/p>\n<\/div>\n