{"id":42995,"date":"2024-08-22T09:08:43","date_gmt":"2024-08-22T09:08:43","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/gulftimes.ae\/gaza-war-biden-tells-netanyahu-ceasefire-deal-is-urgent\/"},"modified":"2024-08-22T09:08:43","modified_gmt":"2024-08-22T09:08:43","slug":"gaza-war-biden-tells-netanyahu-ceasefire-deal-is-urgent","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/gulftimes.ae\/?p=42995","title":{"rendered":"Gaza war: Biden tells Netanyahu ceasefire deal is urgent"},"content":{"rendered":"
\n<\/p>\n
In Gaza on Wednesday, at least 50 Palestinians were killed by Israeli air strikes, Hamas-run health authorities said.<\/p>\n
The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said it hit around 30 targets across the territory, including tunnels, launch sites and an observation post.<\/p>\n
The targets included the UN-run Salah al-Din school in Gaza City, which the IDF said was used by \u201cHamas operatives\u201d as a \u201chideout\u201d. The strike killed at least four people and wounded 15, the Hamas-run Civil Defence service said.<\/p>\n
Philippe Lazzarini, head of the UN’s Palestinian refugee agency, said that children were killed in the strike and some were \u201cburnt to death”.<\/p>\n
“Gaza is no place for children anymore. They are the first casualty of this merciless war,” he said, adding that \u201ca ceasefire is beyond overdue”.<\/p>\n
Israel launched a military campaign in Gaza in response to an unprecedented attack on southern Israel on 7 October by Hamas gunmen, during which about 1,200 people were killed and 251 taken hostage.<\/p>\n
More than 40,223 people have been killed in Gaza since then, according to the territory’s Hamas-run health ministry, which does not give details of civilian and combatant deaths. The UN human rights office says most of those killed were women and children.<\/p>\n
Israel and Lebanon’s Hezbollah movement also exchanged fire on Wednesday, with Israel saying it hit a Hezbollah weapons storage facility in the Bekaa Valley overnight. The Lebanese health ministry said one person was killed and 30 others injured.<\/p>\n
In response, Hezbollah, which is backed by Iran, said it targeted Israeli military positions in the Golan Heights with a rocket barrage. Israeli authorities said two homes were hit and one person was injured.<\/p>\n<\/div>\n