invited Archives - Gulf Times | News by the minute https://gulftimes.ae/?tag=invited Largest News Aggregator in the Gulf Tue, 23 Jun 2026 12:14:00 +0000 en-US hourly 1 https://wordpress.org/?v=7.0.4 https://gulftimes.ae/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/gt-icon.png invited Archives - Gulf Times | News by the minute https://gulftimes.ae/?tag=invited 32 32 Iran says no new commitments on nuclear sites after Vance says inspectors to be invited back https://gulftimes.ae/?p=86209 https://gulftimes.ae/?p=86209#respond Tue, 23 Jun 2026 12:14:00 +0000 https://gulftimes.ae/iran-says-no-new-commitments-on-nuclear-sites-after-vance-says-inspectors-to-be-invited-back/ Gulf News: UAE's largest news aggregator across the GCC

Iran has denied a claim by Vice-President JD Vance that it will allow nuclear inspectors back…

The post Iran says no new commitments on nuclear sites after Vance says inspectors to be invited back appeared first on Gulf Times | News by the minute.

]]>
Gulf News: UAE's largest news aggregator across the GCC


Iran has denied a claim by Vice-President JD Vance that it will allow nuclear inspectors back into the country, after the first round of talks between Washington and Tehran to reach a final deal to end the war.

Following negotiations in Switzerland, Vance said on Monday that discussions with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) could be happening “as soon as today”.

But Iran’s foreign ministry told state media that Tehran had made “no new commitments” on nuclear inspections.

Iran and the US continued to share conflicting remarks on the nuclear issue on Tuesday.

Iran’s foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said it had no plans to allow inspectors to access nuclear sites bombed by the US and Israel last year.

US President Donald Trump said that despite Iran’s “protestations and false statements to the contrary”, it had “fully and completely agreed” to inspections.

“If they did not agree to this, there would be no further negotiations!” he posted on social media.

Meanwhile, the US has temporarily waived sanctions, allowing Iran to sell oil in US dollars for the first time in decades.

In a joint statement released on Monday, mediators Qatar and Pakistan said that after the first round of talks in the Swiss resort of Bürgenstock, the US and Iran had agreed to “a roadmap towards reaching a final deal within 60 days”.

Vance described the talks as having laid a “very good foundation”.

The US vice-president said the teams had discussed the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz and “de-confliction for the regional ceasefire”.

The 60-day sanctions waiver issued by the US Treasury on Monday dismantles central pillars of Washington’s long-running embargo, which has historically choked off Tehran’s economy.

The emergency licence authorises the production, sale and delivery of Iranian crude and petrochemicals until 21 August.

Iranian oil can even be imported directly into the US, under the sanctions relief.

It unlocks banking transactions, insurance and transportation and does away with the complex networks that Iran has previously used to sell crude.



Source link

The post Iran says no new commitments on nuclear sites after Vance says inspectors to be invited back appeared first on Gulf Times | News by the minute.

]]>
https://gulftimes.ae/?feed=rss2&p=86209 0
U.S. Secretary of State Rubio and Ukraine’s Foreign Minister Invited to Key EU Meeting Amid Diplomatic Uncertainty https://gulftimes.ae/?p=51911 https://gulftimes.ae/?p=51911#respond Thu, 30 Jan 2025 15:56:00 +0000 https://gulftimes.ae/u-s-secretary-of-state-rubio-and-ukraines-foreign-minister-invited-to-key-eu-meeting-amid-diplomatic-uncertainty/ Gulf News: UAE's largest news aggregator across the GCC

The European Union has extended formal invitations to U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Ukraine’s…

The post U.S. Secretary of State Rubio and Ukraine’s Foreign Minister Invited to Key EU Meeting Amid Diplomatic Uncertainty appeared first on Gulf Times | News by the minute.

]]>
Gulf News: UAE's largest news aggregator across the GCC


The European Union has extended formal invitations to U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Ukraine’s Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha to attend a pivotal meeting of EU foreign ministers in Brussels on February 12. The gathering is poised to become a critical platform for discussing the ongoing war in Ukraine and broader international security concerns.

The invitations were confirmed by two Ukrainian diplomatic officials, who requested anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the discussions. This development could potentially mark the first official contact between Kyiv and the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump, whose foreign policy has drawn global attention for its assertive stance on Russia.

Since President Trump assumed office, U.S.-Ukraine diplomatic channels have remained conspicuously silent. Although the administration has made public pronouncements about its desire to end Russia’s war in Ukraine, no direct communications have been established with Kyiv.

The February 12 meeting represents a significant opportunity for the Trump administration to articulate its foreign policy approach directly to both European and Ukrainian officials. Kaja Kallas, the EU’s top diplomat, confirmed that she had personally extended an invitation to Rubio, urging him to attend and “explain the views of the United States.”

Kallas noted that while Rubio initially expressed reservations about attending, she managed to have a productive phone conversation with him, during which they discussed a range of pressing issues, including Russia’s continued aggression in Ukraine, Iran’s influence in the Middle East, and challenges posed by China’s growing global power.

Kyiv’s representatives are keen to establish direct communication with Rubio and other U.S. officials to gain clarity on the Trump administration’s strategy for resolving the conflict with Russia.

“We are eager to engage with our American counterparts and understand their approach to achieving a just and sustainable peace in Ukraine,” one Ukrainian official said. “The security of Europe depends on it.”

Since Russia’s full-scale invasion began, Ukraine has relied heavily on Western military and economic support. The Trump administration has made several public statements indicating a desire to bring the conflict to a swift conclusion. However, Ukrainian officials are cautious, emphasizing that any peace deal must secure favorable terms for Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity.

President Trump has repeatedly vowed to end the war “quickly” after taking office, a claim that has both raised hopes and fueled skepticism. “We want the war to end. That’s pretty clear,” Rubio said in a public statement earlier this month.

Rubio acknowledged the complexities of negotiating a peace deal, suggesting that compromises would be inevitable. “Anytime you bring an end to a conflict between two sides, neither of whom can achieve their maximum goals, each side is going to have to give up something,” he remarked.

While Trump’s tough rhetoric on Russia has been well-received in Kyiv, Ukrainian officials remain wary of any agreement that might undermine their national interests.

The EU has played a central role in supporting Ukraine, both through economic sanctions against Russia and by providing military aid. Brussels is eager to hear Rubio’s perspective on the conflict and gauge the level of continued U.S. commitment to European security under the Trump administration.

Kallas emphasized the importance of transatlantic cooperation in addressing global challenges. “The United States remains a crucial partner for Europe, and we need to have a clear understanding of their position on key issues,” she said.

The February 12 meeting is expected to cover a range of topics, including military aid packages, energy security, and the potential for future peace negotiations.

Despite the potential for progress, significant obstacles remain. The war in Ukraine has become a protracted conflict with high stakes for all parties involved. Any diplomatic resolution will require careful negotiation and strong international support.

Kallas expressed cautious optimism about Rubio’s potential attendance. “Having the United States represented at this meeting is essential for fostering a comprehensive and coordinated approach to ending the conflict,” she said.

However, it remains unclear whether Rubio will ultimately attend the meeting. The U.S. State Department has yet to confirm his participation.

If Rubio declines the invitation, it would underscore lingering uncertainties about the Trump administration’s engagement with European allies. Such a move could weaken transatlantic ties at a time when unity is crucial for confronting shared security threats.

Conversely, Rubio’s presence would signal a renewed commitment to diplomatic cooperation and could pave the way for more robust U.S. involvement in resolving the conflict.

As February 12 approaches, all eyes will be on Brussels to see whether this meeting becomes the starting point for renewed U.S.-Ukraine relations under the Trump administration.

For Kyiv, the stakes are clear: securing continued Western support and ensuring that any peace deal safeguards Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity. For the United States, the meeting presents an opportunity to reaffirm its leadership on the global stage and demonstrate a commitment to peace and stability in Europe.

Whether Rubio decides to attend or not, the meeting is set to be a defining moment for the future of international diplomacy regarding the war in Ukraine. The world waits to see how these high-stakes negotiations will unfold and whether peace is truly within reach.



Source link

The post U.S. Secretary of State Rubio and Ukraine’s Foreign Minister Invited to Key EU Meeting Amid Diplomatic Uncertainty appeared first on Gulf Times | News by the minute.

]]>
https://gulftimes.ae/?feed=rss2&p=51911 0
Israel says Netanyahu invited to meet Trump at White House https://gulftimes.ae/?p=51774 https://gulftimes.ae/?p=51774#respond Tue, 28 Jan 2025 20:00:00 +0000 https://gulftimes.ae/israel-says-netanyahu-invited-to-meet-trump-at-white-house/ Gulf News: UAE's largest news aggregator across the GCC

Trump claimed credit for getting the ceasefire deal over the line when it was first announced,…

The post Israel says Netanyahu invited to meet Trump at White House appeared first on Gulf Times | News by the minute.

]]>
Gulf News: UAE's largest news aggregator across the GCC


Trump claimed credit for getting the ceasefire deal over the line when it was first announced, saying on Truth Social the “epic” agreement was possible only because he won November’s presidential election.

The White House meeting would also come after Trump said last week that he wanted Egypt and Jordan to take in Palestinians from Gaza, after describing the strip as a “demolition site”.

Both Hamas and the Palestinian Authority condemned the proposal. Jordan and Egypt have also rejected the idea.

However, the idea of encouraging Gazans to relocate to neighbouring countries has long been pushed by hardline right-wing members of Netanyahu’s government.

The January ceasefire deal has paused the war which began when Hamas attacked Israel on 7 October 2023, killing about 1,200 people and taking 251 back to Gaza as hostages.

More than 47,200 Palestinians, the majority civilians, have been killed in Israel’s subsequent offensive, Gaza’s Hamas-run health ministry says.



Source link

The post Israel says Netanyahu invited to meet Trump at White House appeared first on Gulf Times | News by the minute.

]]>
https://gulftimes.ae/?feed=rss2&p=51774 0