Hegseth Archives - Gulf Times | News by the minute https://gulftimes.ae/?tag=hegseth Largest News Aggregator in the Gulf Wed, 22 Jul 2026 02:15:00 +0000 en-US hourly 1 https://wordpress.org/?v=7.0.4 https://gulftimes.ae/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/gt-icon.png Hegseth Archives - Gulf Times | News by the minute https://gulftimes.ae/?tag=hegseth 32 32 Iran war has cost US $37.5bn so far, Hegseth says, as Pentagon seeks billions more https://gulftimes.ae/?p=86839 https://gulftimes.ae/?p=86839#respond Wed, 22 Jul 2026 02:15:00 +0000 https://gulftimes.ae/iran-war-has-cost-us-37-5bn-so-far-hegseth-says-as-pentagon-seeks-billions-more/ Gulf News: UAE's largest news aggregator across the GCC

Most Democrats are opposed to the supplemental funding request, and there is discontent in Republican ranks…

The post Iran war has cost US $37.5bn so far, Hegseth says, as Pentagon seeks billions more appeared first on Gulf Times | News by the minute.

]]>
Gulf News: UAE's largest news aggregator across the GCC


Most Democrats are opposed to the supplemental funding request, and there is discontent in Republican ranks too.

Some of the fiscal hawks in the Republican Party want spending cuts elsewhere to offset the budget.

Either way, the House of Representatives leaves town on Thursday and the two chambers of Congress will not be jointly back in session until September.

Even if Republicans can muster the votes, it’s going to be a couple of months before the Pentagon can get the funds.

During Hegseth’s hearing, Trump – who was at the White House – posted a list of longer, bloodier US wars, noting their duration and death toll.

He wrote on Truth Social that 18 had died so far in the US war with Iran, which began on 28 February.

On Tuesday, the Pentagon announced the death of Sgt Michael Emmanuel Swinton, a 30-year-old US soldier, in Iraq. It also said another US soldier Sgt Angel Rampersad, 28, was believed dead in Jordan.

A day earlier, the military identified two other US service personnel killed in action in Jordan as Pfc Isabella Gonzales, 19, and 1st Lt Tyler Feehan, 25.

Trump is due to go to an air base in the US state of Delaware on Wednesday morning as the soldiers’ flag-draped coffins arrive home.



Source link

The post Iran war has cost US $37.5bn so far, Hegseth says, as Pentagon seeks billions more appeared first on Gulf Times | News by the minute.

]]>
https://gulftimes.ae/?feed=rss2&p=86839 0
Hegseth says clock paused on deadline to seek approval for Iran war https://gulftimes.ae/?p=85053 https://gulftimes.ae/?p=85053#respond Fri, 01 May 2026 19:31:00 +0000 https://gulftimes.ae/hegseth-says-clock-paused-on-deadline-to-seek-approval-for-iran-war/ Gulf News: UAE's largest news aggregator across the GCC

“Implementing the U.S. blockade is not without risk, and itself is hostilities. Given the fragility of…

The post Hegseth says clock paused on deadline to seek approval for Iran war appeared first on Gulf Times | News by the minute.

]]>
Gulf News: UAE's largest news aggregator across the GCC


“Implementing the U.S. blockade is not without risk, and itself is hostilities. Given the fragility of the ceasefire and President Trump’s own messaging about resuming strikes on Iran, there is a risk that they may need to use force, and they have been and remain in hostilities,” she continued.



Source link

The post Hegseth says clock paused on deadline to seek approval for Iran war appeared first on Gulf Times | News by the minute.

]]>
https://gulftimes.ae/?feed=rss2&p=85053 0
Questions mount for Hegseth over possible US involvement in strike on Iranian school https://gulftimes.ae/?p=83308 https://gulftimes.ae/?p=83308#respond Thu, 12 Mar 2026 12:22:00 +0000 https://gulftimes.ae/questions-mount-for-hegseth-over-possible-us-involvement-in-strike-on-iranian-school/ Gulf News: UAE's largest news aggregator across the GCC

The letter highlights how the war has become an issue that divides US lawmakers along party…

The post Questions mount for Hegseth over possible US involvement in strike on Iranian school appeared first on Gulf Times | News by the minute.

]]>
Gulf News: UAE's largest news aggregator across the GCC


The letter highlights how the war has become an issue that divides US lawmakers along party lines. No member of President Donald Trump’s Republican Party signed it. Meanwhile, the only Senate Democrat not to do so was John Fetterman, who has supported the military action, though said an investigation into the school strike was right.



Source link

The post Questions mount for Hegseth over possible US involvement in strike on Iranian school appeared first on Gulf Times | News by the minute.

]]>
https://gulftimes.ae/?feed=rss2&p=83308 0
US sub sinks Iranian warship in Indian Ocean, Hegseth says https://gulftimes.ae/?p=82992 https://gulftimes.ae/?p=82992#respond Thu, 05 Mar 2026 06:52:00 +0000 https://gulftimes.ae/us-sub-sinks-iranian-warship-in-indian-ocean-hegseth-says/ Gulf News: UAE's largest news aggregator across the GCC

Sri Lanka’s navy says around 140 people are feared missing after a military vessel went down…

The post US sub sinks Iranian warship in Indian Ocean, Hegseth says appeared first on Gulf Times | News by the minute.

]]>
Gulf News: UAE's largest news aggregator across the GCC



Sri Lanka’s navy says around 140 people are feared missing after a military vessel went down off its southern coast.



Source link

The post US sub sinks Iranian warship in Indian Ocean, Hegseth says appeared first on Gulf Times | News by the minute.

]]>
https://gulftimes.ae/?feed=rss2&p=82992 0
Watch: BBC asks Hegseth about reports of strike on school https://gulftimes.ae/?p=83036 https://gulftimes.ae/?p=83036#respond Wed, 04 Mar 2026 14:38:00 +0000 https://gulftimes.ae/watch-bbc-asks-hegseth-about-reports-of-strike-on-school/ Gulf News: UAE's largest news aggregator across the GCC

Asked about the reported bombing of a school in Iran, Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth said…

The post Watch: BBC asks Hegseth about reports of strike on school appeared first on Gulf Times | News by the minute.

]]>
Gulf News: UAE's largest news aggregator across the GCC



Asked about the reported bombing of a school in Iran, Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth said that the US was “investigating”.



Source link

The post Watch: BBC asks Hegseth about reports of strike on school appeared first on Gulf Times | News by the minute.

]]>
https://gulftimes.ae/?feed=rss2&p=83036 0
Hegseth defends results of US strikes in push to win public opinion battle https://gulftimes.ae/?p=58415 https://gulftimes.ae/?p=58415#respond Thu, 26 Jun 2025 18:35:00 +0000 https://gulftimes.ae/hegseth-defends-results-of-us-strikes-in-push-to-win-public-opinion-battle/ Gulf News: UAE's largest news aggregator across the GCC

Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth took the lectern at the Pentagon briefing room on Thursday morning with…

The post Hegseth defends results of US strikes in push to win public opinion battle appeared first on Gulf Times | News by the minute.

]]>
Gulf News: UAE's largest news aggregator across the GCC


Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth took the lectern at the Pentagon briefing room on Thursday morning with two goals.

He wanted to present evidence of the success of the American attack on Iran’s nuclear facilities, pushing back against a preliminary defence intelligence assessment that suggested the strikes were less effective.

And he wanted to berate the American media and paint their coverage of that preliminary report as unpatriotic and disrespectful to the “brave men and women” in the US military.

It was a briefing aimed at winning over divided public opinion on the attacks – and to satisfy an audience of one in the White House, who has been railing against the media coverage for days.

The former goal is still in question, but the latter seems to have been a mission accomplished.

“One of the greatest, most professional, and most ‘confirming’ News Conferences I have ever seen!” Donald Trump wrote on Truth Social after Hegseth concluded.

During his half-hour briefing, Hegseth ticked through a range of intelligence information, although little of it was new.

He read from a Wednesday letter penned by CIA Director John Ratcliffe that claimed there was “intelligence from a historically reliable and accurate source/method that several key Iranian nuclear facilities were destroyed and would have to be rebuilt over the course of years”.

He cited an earlier Israeli intelligence finding, detailed a recent statement by Iranian leaders and reviewed initial findings of “very significant damage” by the International Atomic Energy Agency.

After General Dan Caine, chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, provided information about the development and power of the “bunker buster bombs” used in the attack – including how they were used to repeatedly hit the ventilation shafts at Iran’s Fordo facility – Hegseth told Americans to use their common sense when deciding whether the strikes were successful.

“Anyone with two eyes, ears and a brain can recognise that kind of firepower, with that specificity at that location and others is going to have a devastating effect,” he said.

“You want to call it destroyed, you want to call it defeated, you want to call it obliterated, choose your words,” he said. “This was a historically successful attack.”

After lauding members of the military who participated in the strikes, Hegseth pivoted to those he wanted to portray as the real villains of this story – an American media he said was more interested in cheering against the president and hoping that he failed. “It’s in your DNA,” he said.

If Hegseth’s comments were tinged with anger and frustration, it is in part because the political stakes at this moment are high.

Battle damage assessments take time – time to review intelligence reports from both surveillance and human sources, time to gather information and time to reach conclusions with some level of confidence. But the pace of American politics moves much more quickly.

Trump administration officials know it doesn’t take long for public opinion in a major event like this to harden. If American voters conclude now that the US attacks weren’t effective, it will be hard for the White House to change minds weeks or months later.

Hegseth’s early morning briefing was an attempt to wrest back a narrative derailed by the preliminary defence intelligence report.

Polls indicate that Donald Trump’s popularity has sagged recently and that Americans were sceptical about American military involvement in the Iran-Israel conflict going into Saturday night.

One survey in the days after the attack found that while Republicans are rallying around the president, the majority of Democrats and independents believed the US action made Americans less safe.

In theory, a successful military operation has the potential to give the president a political boost if the White House can convince the public that Trump took decisive action that produced a positive result. It would provide the president to claim a signature foreign policy success after his early high-profile efforts to end wars in Ukraine and Gaza have been stymied.

But the windows on such opportunities close fast, which could explain why Trump, often prone to hyperbole, was quick to declare that Iran’s nuclear programme was “obliterated”, as the dust from the strikes was still settling and before intelligence assessments had begun in earnest.

It’s also why his critics were so eager to boost the preliminary Pentagon report that undercut his claims – and why journalists, attuned to politicians motivated by political advantage, took note.



Source link

The post Hegseth defends results of US strikes in push to win public opinion battle appeared first on Gulf Times | News by the minute.

]]>
https://gulftimes.ae/?feed=rss2&p=58415 0
Hegseth shared Yemen attack details in second Signal chat, reports say https://gulftimes.ae/?p=55950 https://gulftimes.ae/?p=55950#respond Mon, 21 Apr 2025 12:09:00 +0000 https://gulftimes.ae/hegseth-shared-yemen-attack-details-in-second-signal-chat-reports-say/ Gulf News: UAE's largest news aggregator across the GCC

Reuters Pete Hegseth shared the messages in a private Signal group chat on 15 March, US…

The post Hegseth shared Yemen attack details in second Signal chat, reports say appeared first on Gulf Times | News by the minute.

]]>
Gulf News: UAE's largest news aggregator across the GCC


Reuters Pete HegsethReuters

Pete Hegseth shared the messages in a private Signal group chat on 15 March, US news outlets say

US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth shared information about US air strikes on Yemen in a second private group on the Signal app, the BBC’s US partner CBS has confirmed with sources familiar with the messages.

The messages, sent on 15 March, included flight schedules for American F/A-18 Hornets carrying out strikes on Houthi targets. The group included Hegseth’s wife, brother and personal lawyer.

The developments come a week after the existence of another group on the same messaging app was revealed. It discussed sensitive information about military operations.

In a statement to the New York Times – which first reported the second group – the White House said no classified information was shared.

Hegseth’s wife, Jennifer, is a former Fox News producer and holds no official position within the Pentagon. Hegseth has previously been criticised for reportedly including his wife in meetings with foreign leaders.

His brother, Phil, and personal lawyer, Tim Parlatore, both hold positions at the Department of Defense. But it is not clear why any of the three would require advanced warnings of sensitive US strike plans.

Unlike the first Signal group, the second one – called “Defense | Team Huddle” – was created by Hegseth, according to the New York Times.

The existence of the earlier Signal group was revealed by Jeffrey Goldberg, the editor of the Atlantic magazine, who was accidentally included in it. Officials similarly used that group to discuss information relating to strikes in Yemen.

The White House denied that classified information was discussed in that group either, although critics of Hegseth – including former US defence officials – question that. They say discussing such information in Signal groups could jeopardise US personnel carrying out military operations.

Signal uses end-to-end encryption, meaning only the sender of the message and its recipients can view its contents.

This is considered a high level of security for a messaging app. But it offers no protection if someone’s phone is viewed by another person or falls into the wrong hands, or if the wrong person is added to a group chat.

Experts say this is why classified communications normally take place in secure, government-controlled locations rather than on officials’ private devices.

The existence of the second Signal group is the latest controversy surrounding the head of the Pentagon, who this year is controlling a budget of $892bn (£670bn).

Hegseth last week fired three top officials for an “unauthorised disclosure” – an accusation the officials said was “baseless”.

In an op-ed for Politico magazine published on Sunday, John Ullyot, a former top Pentagon spokesperson who resigned last week, wrote that the department was in “total chaos”.

“The dysfunction is now a major distraction for the president – who deserves better from his senior leadership,” Ullyot added.

However, in a statement on X, Sean Parnell, current chief spokesman for the Pentagon, accused the “Trump-hating media” of “destroying anyone committed to President Trump’s agenda”.

He echoed the White House by saying that “there was no classified information in any Signal chat”.

Washington says its strikes in Yemen are punishment for Houthi attacks on cargo vessels transiting through the Red Sea, a critical waterway for international trade.

Since November 2023, the Houthis have targeted dozens of merchant vessels with missiles, drones and small boat attacks in the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden. They have sunk two vessels, seized a third, and killed four crew members.

The Houthis have said they are acting in support of the Palestinians in the war between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, and have claimed – often falsely – that they are targeting ships only linked to Israel, the US or the UK.

US air strikes on an oil terminal in north-western Yemen this week killed at least 74 people and wounded 171 others, according to the Houthi-run health ministry. The Houthi-led government said the attack constituted a “war crime”.



Source link

The post Hegseth shared Yemen attack details in second Signal chat, reports say appeared first on Gulf Times | News by the minute.

]]>
https://gulftimes.ae/?feed=rss2&p=55950 0