appalled Archives - Gulf Times | News by the minute https://gulftimes.ae/?tag=appalled Largest News Aggregator in the Gulf Thu, 15 Jan 2026 12:07:00 +0000 en-US hourly 1 https://wordpress.org/?v=7.0.4 https://gulftimes.ae/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/gt-icon.png appalled Archives - Gulf Times | News by the minute https://gulftimes.ae/?tag=appalled 32 32 NZ ‘Appalled’ by Iran Crackdown as Protests Over Economic Crisis Spread Nationwide, Says Foreign Minister Winston Peters https://gulftimes.ae/?p=81587 https://gulftimes.ae/?p=81587#respond Thu, 15 Jan 2026 12:07:00 +0000 https://gulftimes.ae/nz-appalled-by-iran-crackdown-as-protests-over-economic-crisis-spread-nationwide-says-foreign-minister-winston-peters/ Gulf News: UAE's largest news aggregator across the GCC

New Zealand Foreign Minister Winston Peters has said his country is “appalled” by a sharp escalation…

The post NZ ‘Appalled’ by Iran Crackdown as Protests Over Economic Crisis Spread Nationwide, Says Foreign Minister Winston Peters appeared first on Gulf Times | News by the minute.

]]>
Gulf News: UAE's largest news aggregator across the GCC


New Zealand Foreign Minister Winston Peters has said his country is “appalled” by a sharp escalation of violence and repression in Iran, as nationwide protests continue to rock the Islamic Republic.

Demonstrations began in the capital, Tehran, in late December, initially triggered by soaring prices, unemployment and worsening economic conditions. Since then, protests have spread to dozens of cities and towns across the country, evolving into a broader challenge to Iran’s ruling authorities.

In a strongly worded statement, Peters condemned what he described as a brutal and disproportionate crackdown by Iranian security forces. He said reports of thousands of protesters being killed were deeply disturbing and highlighted what he called a systematic effort to silence dissent.

“The people of Iran have the right to peaceful protest, freedom of expression and access to information,” Peters said. “These fundamental rights are being brutally suppressed, and New Zealand condemns this repression in the strongest possible terms.”

The foreign minister also criticised Iran’s near-total internet blackout, imposed as protests intensified. The shutdown has severely restricted the flow of information out of the country, making it difficult for journalists, human rights organisations and foreign governments to independently verify events on the ground. As a result, only limited video footage and eyewitness accounts have emerged on social media.

The unrest has drawn international attention, including from the United States. US President Donald Trump has repeatedly threatened military action over Tehran’s handling of the protests. However, Reuters reported on Thursday that Trump now believes the level of killings may be subsiding and that mass executions of protesters are unlikely.

Despite these claims, rights groups continue to warn of a severe humanitarian crisis. US-based human rights organisation Hrana said more than 2,500 people have been killed since the protests began, including at least 12 children. It also reported thousands of arrests, with detainees facing harsh conditions and summary trials.

Against this backdrop, Peters urged all New Zealand citizens still in Iran to leave the country immediately, citing the rapidly deteriorating security situation and limited consular access due to the internet restrictions.

New Zealand, he said, would continue to work with international partners to press Iran to halt the violence and respect the basic rights of its people.



Source link

The post NZ ‘Appalled’ by Iran Crackdown as Protests Over Economic Crisis Spread Nationwide, Says Foreign Minister Winston Peters appeared first on Gulf Times | News by the minute.

]]>
https://gulftimes.ae/?feed=rss2&p=81587 0
UN chief ‘appalled’ by worsening Gaza crisis as civilians face displacement, aid blockades https://gulftimes.ae/?p=58655 https://gulftimes.ae/?p=58655#respond Thu, 03 Jul 2025 12:00:00 +0000 https://gulftimes.ae/un-chief-appalled-by-worsening-gaza-crisis-as-civilians-face-displacement-aid-blockades/ Gulf News: UAE's largest news aggregator across the GCC

Multiple attacks in recent days have killed and injured scores of Palestinians at sites hosting displaced…

The post UN chief ‘appalled’ by worsening Gaza crisis as civilians face displacement, aid blockades appeared first on Gulf Times | News by the minute.

]]>
Gulf News: UAE's largest news aggregator across the GCC



Multiple attacks in recent days have killed and injured scores of Palestinians at sites hosting displaced people and others attempting to access essential supplies, according to a statement from UN Spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric on Thursday.

“The Secretary-General strongly condemns the loss of civilian life,” Mr. Dujarric said.

On just one day this week, nearly 30,000 people were forced to flee under new Israeli relocation orders, with no safe place to go and clearly inadequate supplies of shelter, food, medicine or water, he added.

Critical systems shutting down

With no fuel having entered Gaza in over 17 weeks, the UN chief is also “gravely concerned that the last lifelines for survival are being cut off.”

“Without an urgent influx of fuel, incubators will shut down, ambulances will be unable to reach the injured and sick, and water cannot be purified,” Mr. Dujarric said.

“The delivery by the United Nations and partners of what little of our lifesaving humanitarian aid is left in Gaza will also grind to a halt.”

The Secretary-General reiterated his call for safe and sustained humanitarian access so aid can reach people in desperate need.

“The UN has a clear and proven plan, rooted in the humanitarian principles, to get vital assistance to civilians – safely and at scale, wherever they are,” Mr. Dujarric said.

The Secretary-General reiterated his call for an immediate and permanent ceasefire and the unconditional release of all hostages held by Hamas and other groups. He reminded all parties that international humanitarian law must be upheld.

Displacement continues

Displacement remains relentless. On Wednesday, Israeli authorities issued a new evacuation order in parts of Gaza City, affecting some 40,000 people and including a displacement site, a medical point and one of the few neighbourhoods that had remained untouched by such orders since before the March ceasefire.

Since that ceasefire collapsed, over 50 such orders have been issued, now covering 78 per cent of Gaza’s territory.

“Add the Israeli-militarized zones and that percentage jumps to 85 – leaving just 15 per cent where civilians can actually stay,” Mr. Dujarric said, briefing reporters at the UN Headquarters, in New York.

Those areas are overcrowded and severely lacking in services or proper infrastructure.

“Imagine having just over two million people in Manhattan – which is actually slightly bigger – but instead of buildings, the area is strewn with the rubble of demolished and bombed-out structures, without infrastructure or basic support,” the UN Spokesperson said.

“And in Gaza, these remaining areas are also fragmented and unsafe.”



Source link

The post UN chief ‘appalled’ by worsening Gaza crisis as civilians face displacement, aid blockades appeared first on Gulf Times | News by the minute.

]]>
https://gulftimes.ae/?feed=rss2&p=58655 0
UN rights chief ‘shocked and appalled’ by Israeli minister’s comment on starving Gazans to death https://gulftimes.ae/?p=42540 https://gulftimes.ae/?p=42540#respond Fri, 09 Aug 2024 12:00:00 +0000 https://gulftimes.ae/un-rights-chief-shocked-and-appalled-by-israeli-ministers-comment-on-starving-gazans-to-death/ Gulf News: UAE's largest news aggregator across the GCC

OHCHR spokesperson Jeremy Laurence said UN Human Rights High Commissioner Volker Türk “is shocked and appalled”…

The post UN rights chief ‘shocked and appalled’ by Israeli minister’s comment on starving Gazans to death appeared first on Gulf Times | News by the minute.

]]>
Gulf News: UAE's largest news aggregator across the GCC


OHCHR spokesperson Jeremy Laurence said UN Human Rights High Commissioner Volker Türk “is shocked and appalled” by comments made by Israeli finance minister Bezalel Smotrich, who suggested that letting two million Palestinians in Gaza starve to death could be “justified and moral” in order to free hostages.

The High Commissioner condemned these words in the strongest terms, which also incite hatred against innocent civilians.

Risk of incitement

Mr. Laurence explained that the starvation of civilians as a method of warfare and the collective punishment of the Palestinian population are both war crimes.

“This direct and public statement risks inciting other atrocity crimes,” he said. “Such statements, especially by public officials, must cease immediately. They must be investigated and if found to amount to a crime, must be prosecuted and punished.”

Mr. Laurence also reiterated OHCHR’s long-standing appeal for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza, the release of all hostages and increased humanitarian aid flows into the enclave.

“This is an immediate call to the Israeli authorities that it is their responsibility to monitor this behaviour,” he said. “Beyond that, let’s take it one step at a time. That is the first stage. It is the Israelis’ responsibility.”

‘Exodus’ from Khan Younis 

Meanwhile, the effects of the latest evacuation order in Gaza are already “very visible”, a senior communications officer with the UN agency that assists Palestine refugees, UNRWA, said on Friday. 

Louise Wateridge spoke to UN News a day after the Israeli military issued the directive, forcing thousands to flee eastern and central Khan Younis and the Al Salqa area of Deir Al-Balah. 

Ms. Wateridge was in Khan Younis on Thursday afternoon and witnessed hundreds of families heading west in temperatures that surpassed 30 degrees Celsius (86 degrees Fahrenheit). 

“The scenes were horrific,” she said.  “It’s like an exodus of these people once again. They’re carrying whatever they can. They don’t appear to have many belongings left. We saw less vehicles with families and it was mostly people on foot.” 

Polio vaccine campaign 

Ms. Wateridge also addressed plans to vaccinate more than half a million children in Gaza against polio following the discovery of the disease in sewage samples last month.

UNRWA, together with the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and the Gaza Ministry of Health are set to launch two rounds of inoculations in the coming days. 

“This campaign, of course, would be much easier to facilitate and much quicker to facilitate with a ceasefire,” she said.  

“We have been calling for a ceasefire for several months. It will deeply benefit any kind of humanitarian response in the Gaza Strip, including the vaccination response to polio.” 

She underlined UNRWA’s deep commitment to lead the vaccination campaigns on the ground, highlighting the agency’s role as the largest organization in the Gaza Strip. 

A young girl receives food from an outside kitchen supported by the World Food Progamme (WFP) (file).

No safe space for children

Separately, UNICEF continues to highlight the dire situation of children in Gaza whose “only hope of survival is a ceasefire”, communications officer Salim Oweis told journalists in Geneva on Friday.

The life of a child in Gaza, in month 10 of this conflict, is not a life. We cannot say it enough – there is no safe place, and everything is running out – food, water, fuel, medicines. Everything,” he said, speaking from Amman, Jordan.

Mr. Oweis was recently in Gaza, where he was “shocked by the depth of suffering, destruction and widespread displacement”.

Sanitation system overburdened

He spoke of walking through “mazes of makeshift shelters” where “you struggle to climb the sand they lay on and you smell the strong odour of sewage filling the paths around.”

Water and waste are a huge problem, he said, referring to the situation in Deir Al-Balah, where most displaced people have fled in recent months.

The partially functioning sanitation system there is estimated to be overloaded by seven times its capacity, meaning that the decades old sewage network is mostly clogged and leaking.

Lack of medicines

“Families urgently asked me for soap and hygiene supplies. They are using water and salt to clean their children or boiling water with lemons to try and treat skin rashes,” Mr. Oweis said.

“They tell me doctors do not have the capacity or medicines to treat them, with more serious medical cases arriving every hour and no supplies on the shelves. And so, the rashes spread.”

He pointed to the serious dearth of medicines for children with cancer, congenital ailments and other pre-existing conditions.

While at Al-Aqsa hospital, Mr. Oweis met a 10-year-old boy called Abdel Rahman, whose leg was injured in an airstrike and never healed. He was later diagnosed with bone cancer.

The boy’s mother, Samar, told him that she wished her son would die and not be suffering – something she could not believe that she would wish for.

Slow death sentence

A child with a disease in the Gaza Strip has been handed a sentence to a slow death because he cannot receive the treatment he needs, and he is unlikely to survive long enough to make it out,” said Mr. Oweis.

“Their only hope of survival is a ceasefire. The children of Gaza are still clinging to the belief that this day will come, and UNICEF shares this hope.”

He insisted that “achieving a ceasefire is still possible, more necessary now than ever and way overdue, and everyone must do everything in their power to advocate for it. 



Source link

The post UN rights chief ‘shocked and appalled’ by Israeli minister’s comment on starving Gazans to death appeared first on Gulf Times | News by the minute.

]]>
https://gulftimes.ae/?feed=rss2&p=42540 0