Categories: Top Stories

UN rights chief alarmed by rise in Iran executions since March


In a statement, Türk urged Iranian authorities to halt all executions and move toward the abolition of the death penalty, saying that “such punishment has no place in our world”.

As well as expressing alarm at the rise in executions, he said the persistent lack of fair trial and due process guarantees was “deeply troubling”, with confessions allegedly obtained under torture and other ill-treatment.

“Several executions have reportedly been carried out in public. Some have reportedly been carried out only weeks after arrest,” he added.

“Twelve defendants were reportedly sentenced to death following a single three-hour closed-door hearing.”

There was no immediate comment from the Iranian government. But it has previously defended the use of the death penalty, saying it is limited to only “the most severe crimes”.

On Monday, Iran’s judiciary said it executed two men convicted of spying for Israel.

Omid Behzad and Pouria Safvat were accused of sending coordinates, images and other information on sensitive military, law enforcement and security sites to Israel’s Mossad foreign intelligence service during the current war and the 12-day conflict in June 2025, according to the judiciary’s Mizan news agency.

Last week, 19-year-old Arvin Kheirkhahan was executed after being convicted of the security-related charge of “enmity against God” over his alleged role in January’s unrest, Iran’s Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA) reported, citing a source close to his family.

Another two men arrested during the protests, Abolfazl Sepahi Badjani and Amirhossein Safari Hosseinabadi, were executed in public in a square in Isfahan, according to HRANA.

They were among 12 people convicted of several charges, including “enmity against God” and “corruption on Earth”, in connection with the killing of four law enforcement officers on 8 January.

Two of their fellow defendants, Erfan Esfandiari and Gol Mohammad Mohammadi, were executed on 19 July.

UN human rights experts said the 12 were sentenced to death “in one hearing, in a closed courtroom and without clarity as to each defendant’s individual responsibility”, which violated established fair trial standards.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

Trump envoy Kushner meets Hamas leader to push Gaza peace plan

Whilst in Egypt, Kushner also met Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi. According to Israeli media…

23 hours ago

First Person: Syrians lead efforts to clear rubble and rebuild lives

The conflict there killed hundreds of thousands of people, displaced millions, and caused severe damage…

1 day ago

Gen Z women are teaching their mums about cycle syncing and periods

Iqra Wasim from Fishponds in Bristol has struggled with PMOS symptoms such as painful acne…

2 days ago

Men are turning to penis fillers, but are they safe?

Prof Vaibhav Modgil, an andrologist and consultant urological surgeon for the NHS in Manchester, has…

2 days ago

Qatar denies capturing three Iranian pilots after downing fighter jets

Iran has called for the release of three Iranian pilots it said were captured by…

2 days ago

Eleven killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon, authorities say

Eleven people have been killed in Israeli strikes in southern Lebanon, authorities say, in one…

2 days ago