Categories: Top Stories

Iran targets military bases as US launches wave of strikes


On Tuesday, Trump threatened to target Iran’s energy infrastructure if Tehran failed to return to talks.

Iran’s top negotiator, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, told state media Tehran had “no reason” to abide by any agreement that did not benefit the country.

He added that Iran’s national security depended on maintaining what he described as “Iranian arrangements” in the Strait of Hormuz.

In the latest attacks, the US targeted command centres, air defence sites, and coastal surveillance facilities across Iran – including in the port city of Bandar Abbas and Greater Tunb Island – US Central Command (Centcom) said.

Explosions were heard across Iran and air defences were triggered in Tehran, Iranian state media reported.

Shortly after, US allies in the Gulf reported attacks. Kuwait’s military said it intercepted drone attacks, while Bahrain’s interior ministry told citizens to remain calm and head to the nearest safe place.

The Iranian military also said it targeted US communication systems and fuel storage facilities in Jordan in its latest round of strikes.

As tensions intensify, the Strait of Hormuz – a critical waterway off Iran’s coast that Tehran effectively blocked in response to US-Israeli strikes – remains closed.

On Tuesday, the US said it had resumed a blockade on Iranian ports, which was previously lifted as part of a deal that was struck by the two countries last month – known as a memorandum of understanding.

The following day, the US fired on and disabled an unladen, Curacao-flagged oil tanker, which Centcom said was attempting to sail toward a blockaded Iranian port.

In response to the renewal of the US blockade, Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps warned the US that it should “expect the closure of other oil and gas export routes that serve the interests of the United States and its allies”.

It did not elaborate on which routes could be affected.

The ongoing hostilities have underscored the strategic importance of the Strait to the global economy, with a sharp rise in oil prices triggered by tanker traffic virtually stalling through the key shipping lane.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

Gaza: Multiple deadly Israeli strikes in under 24 hours

Verified videos show the aftermath of Tuesday and Wednesday's strikes in Gaza City which show…

1 hour ago

Israel opens up tenders for controversial West Bank settlement project

Israel has built about 160 settlements housing 700,000 Jews since it occupied the West Bank…

3 hours ago

Salmonella outbreak: What we know so far

The vaccination of commercial hens against common salmonella strains, which began in the mid-1990s in…

3 hours ago

Israeli army orders criminal investigation into killing of Palestinian girl Hind Rajab in Gaza

The Israeli army has ordered a criminal investigation into the killing in Gaza of five-year-old…

7 hours ago

UK salmonella outbreak leaves one dead and hundreds ill

A person has died and hundreds have fallen ill with salmonella food poisoning in an…

7 hours ago

Sudan war: 200,000 newly displaced as fighting and floods intensify

In an alert, the agency also warned that relief access has been disrupted further by…

7 hours ago