Categories: Africa

Sudan: UN welcomes extension of vital aid corridor amid rising insecurity



The Sudanese authorities announced on Monday that the Adre border crossing – critical for humanitarian aid delivery into the Darfur and Kordofan regions – will remain available through 30 September

This will continue to allow us to deliver humanitarian aid to those in need, despite the ongoing insecurity,” UN Spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric said in New York. 

Ongoing clashes at the border

The announcement comes as armed clashes continue near the Chadian border, with some humanitarian partners reporting that they have suspended operations due to the worsening security conditions and communications disruptions. 

Despite the volatility, humanitarian partners continue to deliver assistance, especially across Darfur.  

“In West Darfur, for example, our partners last week completed cash distributions to 250 families,” he said.  “In addition, general food assistance was delivered, reaching more than 42,000 people with monthly food rations.”  

Conflict, cholera and constraints

As cholera continues to rise in West Kordofan, aid partners are also scaling up by operating cholera treatment facilities, deploying rapid response teams, strengthening surveillance and water chlorination, and distributing cholera supplies supported by the World Health Organization (WHO). 

As of 20 June, there were 838 suspected cases and seven confirmed cases, including 117 deaths, WHO Regional Director for the Eastern Mediterranean wrote in a tweet. 

“Although the number of new cases is beginning to decline, access to healthcare and humanitarian assistance remains severely constrained,” she added, warning that “disrupted health services, unsafe water and poor sanitation, insecurity and population displacement are creating conditions for the disease to spread.”

Continued drone attacks in El Obeid

Meanwhile, the situation in El Obeid remains concerning as drone attacks continue for a third consecutive week.  

A drone strike on 27 June reportedly hit areas near a school for girls, injuring at least eight students, according to local sources. 

“We once again call on all parties to the conflict to ensure the protection of civilians and civilian infrastructure and allow unimpeded humanitarian access wherever it is needed,” the UN Spokesperson underscored. 



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

Erin survived cancer aged 21 – now it’s a race against time for a chance of a baby

Nail technician Erin, who missed two years of work during her cancer treatment, also has…

11 hours ago

Qusra siege eases as UN reaches trapped families, but crisis deepens in Gaza

UN teams on the ground reached the families after they were confined to their homes…

21 hours ago

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

According to local authorities, the disease has killed 2,325 people, surpassing the 2,299 deaths recorded…

21 hours ago

Trump envoy Kushner meets Hamas leader to push Gaza peace plan

Whilst in Egypt, Kushner also met Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi. According to Israeli media…

2 days ago

First Person: Syrians lead efforts to clear rubble and rebuild lives

The conflict there killed hundreds of thousands of people, displaced millions, and caused severe damage…

2 days ago

Gen Z women are teaching their mums about cycle syncing and periods

Iqra Wasim from Fishponds in Bristol has struggled with PMOS symptoms such as painful acne…

2 days ago