Categories: Middle East

Lebanon: UN peacekeeping force warns drone incidents near its positions are putting personnel at risk



The warning came amid ongoing hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah fighters, despite a ceasefire beginning 17 April.

On Monday, 11 May, between 5pm and 5.30pm, “three presumed Hezbollah drones detonated in an area where Israeli security forces soldiers may have been present, within metres of UNIFIL headquarters in Naqoura”, the mission said in a statement.

Multiple incidents

Another drone detonated in the same area on Tuesday 12 May, at around 5.20pm and a few minutes later, “a presumed Hezbollah drone detonated inside UNIFIL headquarters”. No injuries were reported, but some buildings were damaged.

In a separate incident on the evening of Sunday 10 May, an unarmed drone crashed in an open area inside UNIFIL headquarters. No one was injured. 

UNIFIL said that preliminary findings indicated the drone had been made in Iran, “suggesting that it had been launched by Hezbollah”.

The peacekeeping mission also reported that on Tuesday 5 May, an armed fibre-optic-guided drone, also believed linked to Hezbollah, crashed through the roof of a building at a UN position near Al Hinniyah in Tyre district, south Lebanon. The drone did not detonate, and no injuries were reported.

Ensure safety of peacekeepers

UNIFIL reiterated its call for all actors to avoid operating near United Nations positions and personnel, and to refrain from any action that could endanger peacekeepers.

The mission said it had specifically protested the presence, activities and movement of Israeli security personnel and vehicles near UNIFIL headquarters. It had also protested the activities of non-State actors near UN positions to the Lebanese Armed Forces.

According to the Lebanese authorities, Israeli strikes have killed more than 380 people since the ceasefire began. The overall toll from Israeli strikes since 2 March when war erupted shortly after Israel-US bombing of Iran began has now reached more than 2,880 people, including 279 women and 200 children.

Hostilities continue

Elsewhere in southern Lebanon, two airstrikes on Tuesday reportedly destroyed several buildings in the village of Sohmor in Bekaa governorate, after displacement orders were issued overnight for the entire village.

According to the UN aid relief office, OCHA, attacks continue to impact healthcare and essential civilian services, including one strike Monday that hit a volunteer-run medical centre affiliated with the health authority in Srifa, in the South governorate, killing one medic and injuring five others. 

“Earlier the same day, another medic was killed in Toul, in the Nabatiyeh governorate, while assisting victims following a strike,” OCHA said.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

UK, France, Germany, Italy and Canada condemn Israel’s West Bank settlement project

Despite an Israeli court challenge to the plans by Bedouin Palestinians living in the area…

50 minutes ago

North Korea launches 10 ballistic missiles as US-South Korea drills near end

South Korea’s presidential office condemned North Korea’s launch of more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles…

4 hours ago

China considering summit with Seoul in November, South Korean foreign ministry says

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said on Wednesday (Aug 19) that Beijing was “actively considering”…

4 hours ago

Assad officer extradited to Syria on war crimes charges for first time

Lebanon has handed Syria a former general who served under the ousted regime of Bashar…

7 hours ago

As elections near, South Sudan risks new atrocity crimes, warns rights probe

Key points‘Rushing’ to elections could fuel conflict, says CommissionHundreds of ceasefire violations confirmedPeace deal still…

8 hours ago

Are eggs safe to eat? Your salmonella questions answered

The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) has recently declared a national outbreak of salmonella food…

9 hours ago