Categories: Top Stories

Kurdish-led SDF pulls out of camp for IS families during clashes in Syria


The Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) says it has withdrawn from a camp holding thousands of people with alleged links to the jihadist group Islamic State (IS), as clashes with the Syrian government continue despite a ceasefire agreement.

The SDF said its forces were “compelled to withdraw” from al-Hol camp and redeploy to other cities in northern Syria “due to the international indifference toward the issue of [IS]”.

The Syrian interior ministry condemned the move, saying it took place without any co-ordination with the government or US-led coalition against IS.

It came after suspected IS fighters escaped nearby Shaddadi prison during clashes between government forces and the SDF.

The interior ministry said 120 detainees broke out of the SDF-run Shaddadi prison on Monday but that soldiers and police had arrested 81 of the fugitives.

The SDF said government forces had freed 1,500 detainees after it lost control of the prison.

It also said al-Aqtan prison near Raqqa was being shelled and had lost its water supply.

On Sunday, the militia alliance agreed to give the government control of the Kurdish-run autonomous region in the north-east, including its prisons and camps, in a deal meant to end almost two weeks of fighting.

The agreement also said the SDF’s tens of thousands of fighters would withdraw from Raqqa and Deir al-Zour provinces to neighbouring Hassakeh, and then be fully integrated into the defence and interior ministries’ forces.

It represented a major blow for the SDF, which had been reluctant to give up the autonomy that it won for Syria’s Kurdish minority when helping US-led coalition forces defeat IS militarily during the country’s 13-year civil war.

President Ahmed al-Sharaa has vowed to reunify Syria since he led the rebel offensive that overthrew Bashar al-Assad in December 2024, but the country remains deeply divided and has been rocked by waves of deadly sectarian violence.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

IVF staff accused of misleading UK parents about donors at northern Cyprus clinics

At least 30 children, most of them British, are feared to have been conceived by…

2 hours ago

Erin survived cancer aged 21 – now it’s a race against time for a chance of a baby

Nail technician Erin, who missed two years of work during her cancer treatment, also has…

12 hours ago

Qusra siege eases as UN reaches trapped families, but crisis deepens in Gaza

UN teams on the ground reached the families after they were confined to their homes…

22 hours ago

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

According to local authorities, the disease has killed 2,325 people, surpassing the 2,299 deaths recorded…

22 hours ago

Trump envoy Kushner meets Hamas leader to push Gaza peace plan

Whilst in Egypt, Kushner also met Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi. According to Israeli media…

2 days ago

First Person: Syrians lead efforts to clear rubble and rebuild lives

The conflict there killed hundreds of thousands of people, displaced millions, and caused severe damage…

2 days ago