Categories: Top Stories

Last Kurdish forces leave Aleppo after ceasefire deal reached


The final Kurdish fighters have withdrawn from the Syrian city of Aleppo, after the announcement of a ceasefire deal in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Mazloum Abdi, leader of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), said an agreement had been made via international mediation, securing the safe evacuation of “martyrs, the wounded, the trapped civilians and the fighters” from the city.

Buses carrying the last Kurdish-led SDF members were seen leaving the Kurdish majority neighbourhood of Sheikh Maqsoud, according to local media reports.

The latest clashes in Aleppo started earlier this week, after negotiations to integrate the Kurds into Syria’s new government reached a stalemate.

At least 12 people were killed in the latest outbreak of violence, which also saw tens of thousands of civilians displaced after they were forced to flee Sheikh Maqsoud and Ashrafieh.

The Syrian army shelled the area on Wednesday afternoon after designating the neighbourhoods “closed military areas”, in response to what it alleged were attacks by armed groups in the area.

The Kurdish-led SDF – which insists it has no military presence in Aleppo – called it a “criminal attempt” to forcibly displace residents.

A ceasefire was raised earlier in the week, but Kurdish forces refused to leave the last stronghold of Sheikh Maksoud under the deal.

In March 2025, the Kurdish-led SDF, which controls much of Syria’s north-east and has tens of thousands of fighters, signed a deal to integrate all military and civilian institutions into the Syrian state.

Both sides accusing each other of trying to derail the negotiations that followed, with the agreement still not realised almost a year later.

The newest iteration of the ceasefire agreement was mediated by the US and other world powers, following concern that the stand-off in Aleppo risked Turkey’s involvement.

Turkey backs the Syrian government and considers the Kurdish militia that dominates the SDF a terrorist organisation.

In a post to X on Saturday, the US ambassador to Turkey and special envoy to Syria, Tom Barrack, said he had met the Syrian president and urged all parties to “exercise maximum restraint, immediately cease hostilities, and return to dialogue” in accordance with the March agreement.

He added that the US has welcomed Syria’s “historic transition”, and would extend its support to President Ahmed al-Sharaa as he “works to stabilize the country”.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

IVF staff accused of misleading UK parents about donors at northern Cyprus clinics

At least 30 children, most of them British, are feared to have been conceived by…

4 hours ago

Erin survived cancer aged 21 – now it’s a race against time for a chance of a baby

Nail technician Erin, who missed two years of work during her cancer treatment, also has…

14 hours ago

Qusra siege eases as UN reaches trapped families, but crisis deepens in Gaza

UN teams on the ground reached the families after they were confined to their homes…

24 hours ago

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

According to local authorities, the disease has killed 2,325 people, surpassing the 2,299 deaths recorded…

24 hours ago

Trump envoy Kushner meets Hamas leader to push Gaza peace plan

Whilst in Egypt, Kushner also met Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi. According to Israeli media…

2 days ago

First Person: Syrians lead efforts to clear rubble and rebuild lives

The conflict there killed hundreds of thousands of people, displaced millions, and caused severe damage…

2 days ago