Categories: Middle East

Gaza: 100 per cent of basic food needs met for first time since 2023



“The January round is the first since October 2023, in which partners had sufficient stock to meet 100 per cent of the minimum caloric standard,” UN Spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric told journalists on Monday.

That’s compared to the end of 2025, when each family received just 50 to 75 per cent of the calories needed to stay healthy.

To further address food insecurity, the UN is supporting the production of approximately 170,000 two-kilo bread bundles daily. 

Around a third of the bread is distributed free of charge to more than 400 shelters and community sites, with the remaining sold at a subsidised price.

Aid must remain ‘unimpeded’

Mr. Dujarric highlighted that last week alone, the UN and partners brought more than 10,000 metric tonnes of aid through the Karim Shalom, Karem Abu Salam crossing and the Zikim crossing. 

Supplies included food and cooking ingredients, animal fodder, soap and other hygiene items, including diapers, winter clothing, blankets and mattresses. 

The recent announcement by Israeli authorities to suspend operations of certain non-governmental organizations (NGOs) threatens to impede critical assistance for civilians, over 50 NGOs warned. 

In a statement issued by the UN Spokesperson on Friday, UN Secretary-General António Guterres said he was “deeply concerned” by the development and underscored that Israel must allow “unimpeded” passage of humanitarian relief.

Violence continues

Israeli airstrikes, shelling and gunfire continued to be reported across several areas of the Gaza Strip between Tuesday and Friday last week, the UN aid coordination office (OCHA) reported over the weekend.

Citing the Gaza Ministry of Health, OCHA said that as of Thursday, five Palestinians were reported killed and 11 others injured across the Gaza Strip over the previous 48 hours.

This comes amid harsh winter conditions and destructive winter storms that are damaging infrastructure and putting water, sanitation and hygiene services under continuing pressure.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

Erin survived cancer aged 21 – now it’s a race against time for a chance of a baby

Nail technician Erin, who missed two years of work during her cancer treatment, also has…

3 hours ago

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

According to local authorities, the disease has killed 2,325 people, surpassing the 2,299 deaths recorded…

13 hours ago

Trump envoy Kushner meets Hamas leader to push Gaza peace plan

Whilst in Egypt, Kushner also met Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi. According to Israeli media…

1 day ago

First Person: Syrians lead efforts to clear rubble and rebuild lives

The conflict there killed hundreds of thousands of people, displaced millions, and caused severe damage…

2 days ago

Gen Z women are teaching their mums about cycle syncing and periods

Iqra Wasim from Fishponds in Bristol has struggled with PMOS symptoms such as painful acne…

2 days ago

Men are turning to penis fillers, but are they safe?

Prof Vaibhav Modgil, an andrologist and consultant urological surgeon for the NHS in Manchester, has…

2 days ago