Categories: Top Stories

Palestinian groups hand over coffin said to contain Gaza hostage’s body


Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) and Hamas have handed over to the Red Cross a coffin which the armed groups say contains the body of one of the last three deceased hostages still in Gaza, according to the Israeli military.

The remains will be transferred to Israeli forces, who will take them to Israel’s National Institute of Forensic Medicine in Tel Aviv for identification.

Earlier, PIJ and Hamas announced that the body of an Israeli hostage had been found in central Gaza on Monday.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office warned that it viewed “with severity the delay in the immediate transfer”, saying it constituted a “further violation” of the six-week-old Gaza ceasefire agreement.

“Israel demands the immediate return of the three deceased hostages still being held in the Gaza Strip,” it added.

Under the first phase of the US-brokered ceasefire deal, which took effect on 10 October, Hamas agreed to return the 20 living Israeli hostages and the bodies of the 28 dead Israeli and foreign hostages still in Gaza within 72 hours.

All the living hostages were released on 13 October in exchange for 250 Palestinian prisoners and 1,718 detainees from Gaza.

So far, the remains of 22 dead Israeli hostages have been handed over, along with those of three foreign hostages – one of them Thai, one Nepalese and one Tanzanian.

In exchange, Israel has handed over the bodies of 330 Palestinians killed during the war.

Two of the three remaining dead hostages are Israelis – Ran Gvili, 24, and Dror Or, 48 – and one is Thai – Suthisak Rintalak, 43.

Israel has accused Hamas of deliberately delaying the recovery of the bodies, while Hamas has insisted it is struggling to find them under rubble.

The slow progress has meant there has been no advance on the second phase of President Donald Trump’s Gaza peace plan. This includes plans for the governance of Gaza, the withdrawal of Israeli troops, the disarmament of Hamas and reconstruction.

The dead hostages still in Gaza were among the 251 people abducted during the Hamas-led attack on Israel on 7 October 2023, during which about 1,200 other people were killed.

Israel responded by launching a military campaign in Gaza, during which more than 69,770 people have been killed, according to the territory’s Hamas-run health ministry.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

US condemns ‘unnecessary escalation’ after Israeli airstrikes on Syrian airbase

The United States has issued a rare rebuke of Israel after reports emerged it struck…

6 hours ago

Children’s stunted lungs show recovery in ultra low emission zone

Scientists say they have been "stunned" by how quickly young children's lungs began to recover…

7 hours ago

Lindsay Clancy begged for help before her children’s killings, mother-in-law testifies

Warning: This story contains distressing details and discussion of attempted suicideLindsay Clancy was "begging for…

13 hours ago

One dead and hundreds ill in UK salmonella outbreak

Symptoms include stomach cramps, diarrhoea, vomiting or fever. These usually develop between 12 and 72…

15 hours ago

'I survived cancer, now I'm fighting for my future family'

Cancer survivor fights for egg preservation fertility treatment Source link

18 hours ago

Trump Praises Kim Jong Un Ties, Says They Make Region Safer as US Scales Back Military Exercises With South Korea

US President Donald Trump said Monday that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un had responded…

18 hours ago