Categories: Africa

Latest deadly shipwreck highlights need for safer migration



They were among 49 migrants and refugees aboard a rubber boat that departed from Zuwara in northwest Libya around 3am on 3 November, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said on Wednesday, citing survivors.

The vessel capsized roughly six hours later after high waves caused the engine to fail. All passengers, 47 men and two women, were thrown overboard.

Adrift at sea

The boat drifted for six days before Libyan authorities rescued seven men – four from Sudan, two from Nigeria and one from Cameroon – on 8 November.

The missing passengers include 29 from Sudan, eight from Somalia, three from Cameroon, and two from Nigeria.

“IOM’s team provided the survivors with emergency medical care, water, and food upon arrival at the disembarkation point in coordination with relevant authorities,” the agency said in a statement.

Cooperation and safe migration

The tragic event comes just weeks after other deadly incidents off Surman, Libya, and the island of Lampedusa in southern Italy.

Latest data from IOM’s Missing Migrants Project reveals that the death toll in the Central Mediterranean has already surpassed 1,000 this year, as people attempt the treacherous sea journey to Europe.

“With this latest shipwreck, the total has risen even further, reinforcing the urgent need for strengthened regional cooperation, expanded safe and regular migration pathways, and more effective search and rescue operations to prevent further loss of life,” the statement concluded.  

IOM upholds that humane and orderly migration benefits both “people on the move” and society as a whole.

Deadliest migration route

The Missing Migrants Project was established in 2014. Since then, more than 25,600 people have died or disappeared in the Central Mediterranean, which spans from North Africa to Italy.

It is the world’s deadliest migration route due to factors that include the length of the journey, which can take days; increasingly dangerous smuggling patterns, gaps in search-and-rescue capacity and restrictions on the work of NGOs saving lives at sea.

Furthermore, migrants often make the crossing in unseaworthy, overloaded inflatable boats. As many of these vessels can be launched at one time, this can complicate search and rescue efforts.

More information can be found here.

 



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

Trump envoy Kushner meets Hamas leader to push Gaza peace plan

Whilst in Egypt, Kushner also met Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi. According to Israeli media…

1 day ago

First Person: Syrians lead efforts to clear rubble and rebuild lives

The conflict there killed hundreds of thousands of people, displaced millions, and caused severe damage…

1 day ago

Gen Z women are teaching their mums about cycle syncing and periods

Iqra Wasim from Fishponds in Bristol has struggled with PMOS symptoms such as painful acne…

2 days ago

Men are turning to penis fillers, but are they safe?

Prof Vaibhav Modgil, an andrologist and consultant urological surgeon for the NHS in Manchester, has…

2 days ago

Qatar denies capturing three Iranian pilots after downing fighter jets

Iran has called for the release of three Iranian pilots it said were captured by…

2 days ago

Eleven killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon, authorities say

Eleven people have been killed in Israeli strikes in southern Lebanon, authorities say, in one…

2 days ago