Categories: Health

Shropshire and Leeds hospitals dropped from national maternity review


Andy GiddingsShropshire and

Victoria ScheerLeeds

Getty Images

The “rapid review” is now focusing on 12 English NHS trusts, with a report due by December

Two NHS trusts have been removed from a review of maternity failings across England.

Trusts in Shropshire and Leeds have been dropped from the government’s rapid reviews of “failures in the system”, after it was confirmed last month they were two of 14 trusts to be looked at.

The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital Trust (SaTH) has been dropped after “discussions with West Mercia Police about the detail and schedule of [an] ongoing investigation”. The decision has left families in the county shocked.

The news Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust (LTH) has been dropped comes after a “separate maternity inquiry announced by the Secretary of State” on Monday, the review body said.

The national inquiry is due to urgently look at the worst-performing maternity and neonatal services in the country and to report back by December.

A BBC investigation found that the deaths at LTH of at least 56 babies and two mothers over the past five years may have been preventable.

Baroness Valerie Amos is leading a review into maternity failings across England

Health Secretary Wes Streeting said he hoped the Leeds-focused inquiry, announced on Monday, would help families learn the truth about what went wrong in their care.

The trust’s maternity units were downgraded from “good” to “inadequate” earlier this year, after unannounced inspections raised concerns that women and babies were “at risk of avoidable harm”.

In a statement issued at the time, the trust told the BBC it was already “taking significant steps to address improvements”.

In 2022, a review of maternity services in Shropshire, led by senior midwife Donna Ockenden, concluded catastrophic failures may have led to the deaths of more than 200 babies, nine mothers and left other infants with life-changing injuries.

West Mercia Police began its own investigation in 2020, to explore whether there was evidence to support a criminal case against the trust or any individuals involved.

Earlier this year, the force announced it had started interviewing current and former members of staff.

‘Absolutely horrified’

Charlotte Cheshire, of Newport in Shropshire, has a son who was left severely disabled because of maternity failings in the county.

She said she was “absolutely horrified” to hear SaTH had been removed from the review.

She learned of the decision when a letter was sent to some parents on Tuesday.

The decision to exclude Shropshire and Leeds from the review would mean stories from families would not be heard, she explained.

“I cannot see how there is any possibility of Baroness Amos and her team actually getting to the bottom of the issues that could improve maternity care going forward,” Ms Cheshire said.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

Vaccine breakthrough stops cancer returning in trial

Merck and Moderna are calling this a personalised vaccine, meaning it works by targeting an…

2 hours ago

Gaza: Multiple deadly Israeli strikes in under 24 hours

Verified videos show the aftermath of Tuesday and Wednesday's strikes in Gaza City which show…

3 hours ago

Israel opens up tenders for controversial West Bank settlement project

Israel has built about 160 settlements housing 700,000 Jews since it occupied the West Bank…

5 hours ago

Salmonella outbreak: What we know so far

The vaccination of commercial hens against common salmonella strains, which began in the mid-1990s in…

5 hours ago

Israeli army orders criminal investigation into killing of Palestinian girl Hind Rajab in Gaza

The Israeli army has ordered a criminal investigation into the killing in Gaza of five-year-old…

8 hours ago

UK salmonella outbreak leaves one dead and hundreds ill

A person has died and hundreds have fallen ill with salmonella food poisoning in an…

9 hours ago