Categories: Middle East

Safety and security of Yemeni civilians at risk unless truce is extended, says human rights chief |



Mr. Türk has echoed calls from the UN Secretary-General to extend the truce and to work towards a negotiated settlement to bring the conflict to an end once and for all.

The outbreak of war over seven years ago between a pro-Government, Saudi-led coalition, and Houthi rebels – together with their backers – plunged Yemen into an unparalleled humanitarian crisis.

Reduced casualties

The truce agreement had brought relative calm. There was a sharp reduction in civilian casualties, the flow of fuel deliveries to Hudaydah increased and Sanaa airport reopened after years of closure to commercial flights.

However, the truce expired at the beginning of October without the parties to the conflict reaching an agreement to extend it.

Since then, reports have been received of civilians being in grave danger. In the last week of October, UN rights office, OHCHR, verified three incidents of shelling in Government-controlled territory that claimed the lives of a boy and a man, and wounded four boys, including two who required leg amputations.

Three incidents of sniper shootings attributed to Houthi, or Ansar Allah movement forces, injuring a boy, a woman and two men, have also been verified. On 21 October, Ansar Allah also conducted a drone attack on Al Dhabah oil terminal port in Hadramaut Governorate that exposed civilians to unwarranted, serious risk.

Abide by international law

The UN rights chief said Friday that all parties to the conflict must strictly adhere to the principles of international humanitarian law in the conduct of military operations and do their utmost to limit the impact of fighting on civilians.

He reminded parties to the conflict that they have strict obligations to facilitate humanitarian access to populations in need and facilitate civilian access to humanitarian and life-saving services.

He said that the deliberate targeting of civilians and civilian objects is prohibited by international law and constitutes a war crime, and that any such attacks must immediately cease, while relevant authorities should investigate such incidents and hold those responsible to account.

‘Choose peace for good’

Briefing journalists in Geneva, Spokesperson for OHCHR, Jeremy Laurence, added: “It is clearly evident that the suffering of the Yemeni people will continue until this conflict is brought to an end.

“We therefore reiterate the calls of the UN Secretary-General who has said it is time for Government forces and their allies, together with Ansar Allah forces and their international backers, to choose peace for good.”



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

India’s Coaching Industry Faces Growing Scrutiny as Exam Leaks Deepen Pressure on Students

For millions of Indian families, becoming a doctor, engineer or lawyer remains one of the…

32 minutes ago

Israel reopens evacuated West Bank settlement, defying growing international protests

Samer is partially blind and has a leg injury that makes moving difficult."Fear dominates everything.…

6 hours ago

Wellness habits you can start today – at no (or little) cost

The cost of studio memberships can be pretty high, so people are increasingly organising their…

11 hours ago

US says sanctions will ‘squash’ Iran’s economy and ‘collapse’ its regime

The Iranian economy has long been struggling under the weight of decades of international sanctions,…

15 hours ago

UK, France, Germany, Italy and Canada condemn Israel’s West Bank settlement project

Despite an Israeli court challenge to the plans by Bedouin Palestinians living in the area…

16 hours ago

North Korea launches 10 ballistic missiles as US-South Korea drills near end

South Korea’s presidential office condemned North Korea’s launch of more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles…

19 hours ago