Categories: Top Stories

Hezbollah dismisses Lebanon’s move to restrict arms as ”a grave sin’


Hezbollah, the Lebanese Shia militant and political movement, says it will disregard a decision by Lebanon’s government to task the army with establishing a state monopoly on arms.

“We will treat this decision as if it does not exist,” Hezbollah said in a statement on Wednesday, describing it as a “grave sin”.

The comments come despite mounting international pressure for the group to disarm.

The Iranian-backed group was significantly degraded in last year’s war with Israel but has, so far, refused to give up its arsenal, despite calls from the US and domestic rivals.

Hezbollah also said that the Lebanese cabinet’s decision to try and confine arms supply and production to state forces was the result of American “diktats”.

It added that it was open to dialogue and discussions on “the national security strategy”, but not “in the context of aggression”.

On Tuesday, Lebanon’s cabinet asked the military to present a plan that will see all arms brought under state control by the end of the year.

The plan is to be presented to the cabinet by the end of this month for discussion and approval, Prime Minister Nawaf Salam told a press conference after the six-hour cabinet meeting.

In June, American officials presented a roadmap to Lebanese authorities that proposed Hezbollah’s full disarmament in exchange for Israel halting its strikes and withdrawing troops from five locations in southern Lebanon, which have been occupied despite a ceasefire deal reached in November.

The group’s leader, Naim Qassem, in a televised address while the cabinet meeting was underway, said Hezbollah would not discuss “the issue of the weapons” while Israeli attacks continue, accusing Israel of breaching the terms of the ceasefire. Israel says its attacks are to prevent Hezbollah from regrouping and rearming.

Despite its weakened status, Hezbollah still enjoys significant support among Lebanon’s Shia Muslim population, and discussions around its disarmament risk elevating tensions in the country, where many still remember the 1975-1990 civil war.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

Assad officer extradited to Syria on war crimes charges for first time

Lebanon has handed Syria a former general who served under the ousted regime of Bashar…

3 hours ago

Are eggs safe to eat? Your salmonella questions answered

The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) has recently declared a national outbreak of salmonella food…

4 hours ago

Why are women going to London for abortions?

Kate Morgan explains why some Welsh women are travelling to London for abortions. Source link

6 hours ago

What supplements do athletes consume every day?

Team GB rower Heidi Long takes BBC Sport through her vitamin and supplement routine. Source…

8 hours ago

Washington’s Pacific Strategy Takes Shape, US Restores Pacific Command, Demands Greater Allied Contributions and Narrows Indo-Pacific Priorities

The United States’ decision to restore the historic name of its oldest combatant command from…

10 hours ago

Zomi Frankcom: Australia ‘outraged’ after Israel decides not to open criminal investigation into killing of aid worker in Gaza

Australia's foreign minister has said she is "outraged" over an Israeli military decision not to…

10 hours ago