Categories: Top Stories

more than 50 dead as vessel capsizes


More than 50 migrants died when a boat carrying around 150 people sank off the coast of Yemen in bad weather on Sunday.

The vessel capsized off Yemen’s southern province of Abyan, with only 10 people rescued and dozens still missing, according to local authorities.

Many of the victims are believed to be Ethiopian nationals, said the International Organization for Migration (IOM), which called the incident “heartbreaking”.

Yemen remains a major pathway for migrants from the Horn of Africa travelling to the Gulf Arab states in search of work, with the IOM estimating hundreds have died or gone missing in shipwrecks in recent months.

IOM Yemen chief Abdusattor Esoev told the Associated Press the bodies of 54 migrants were discovered onshore in the southern district of Khanfar, and 14 others were taken to a hospital morgue in the Abyan provincial capital Zinjibar.

The Abyan security directorate released a statement on the large search and rescue mission under way and said many dead bodies had been found across a wide area of shoreline, according to the Associated Press.

A spokesperson for the IOM said the agency was “deeply saddened” by the “tragic loss of life” and emphasised the need for more safeguards for migrants.

“This heartbreaking incident underscores the urgent need for enhanced protection mechanisms for migrants undertaking perilous journeys, often facilitated by unscrupulous smugglers who exploit desperation and vulnerability,” they said.

The IOM previously described the journey from the Horn of Africa to Yemen as “one of the busiest and most perilous mixed migration routes”.

In March, two boats carrying more than 180 migrants sank off the coast of Yemen’s Dhubab district due to rough seas, with only two crew members rescued and all remaining passengers missing and feared dead.

Migrants arriving at Migrant Response Points in Yemen have also reported people-smugglers becoming more reckless by knowingly sending boats into dangerous conditions to avoid patrols, according to an IOM report.

Despite the risks, many migrants continue to make the trip, with more than 60,000 arriving in Yemen in 2024 alone.

In the last decade, the IOM’s Missing Migrants Project recorded more than 3,400 deaths and missing people along the route – 1,400 of those deaths were due to drowning.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

UK, Canada and Australia condemn Israel for refusing criminal probe into aid worker killings in Gaza

In its statement on Wednesday, the IDF said the presence of an armed guard with…

10 hours ago

US Signals Toughest-Ever Iran Sanctions as Trump Threatens Countries Supporting Tehran and Oil Markets Brace for Further Disruption

The United States is preparing to impose what Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent described as the…

13 hours ago

DR Congo Ebola outbreak spreading exponentially, UN responders warn

Key pointsEbola deaths reach 2,516 in DRC  Response funding could run out within weeks Dozens of…

14 hours ago

India’s Coaching Industry Faces Growing Scrutiny as Exam Leaks Deepen Pressure on Students

For millions of Indian families, becoming a doctor, engineer or lawyer remains one of the…

15 hours ago

Israel reopens evacuated West Bank settlement, defying growing international protests

Samer is partially blind and has a leg injury that makes moving difficult."Fear dominates everything.…

21 hours ago

Wellness habits you can start today – at no (or little) cost

The cost of studio memberships can be pretty high, so people are increasingly organising their…

1 day ago