Israel says it has bombed Syrian government forces around Suweida, as they entered the predominantly Druze city following two days of deadly clashes between Druze militias and Bedouin tribes.
About 100 people have reportedly been killed since the fighting erupted on Sunday.
Syria’s defence minister announced a ceasefire in Suweida on Tuesday morning, saying an agreement had been reached with local dignitaries for security forces to deploy there. However, one Druze spiritual leader urged local fighters to resist.
Later, Israel’s prime minister said he had ordered strikes on forces and weapons in the Suweida area because the government “intended to use [them] against the Druze”.
Benjamin Netanyahu said he was committed to preventing harm to the Druze in Syria because of their deep ties to those living in Israel and the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.
This is the first time that Syrian government forces have been deployed to Suweida since Islamist-led rebel forces overthrew President Bashar al-Assad in December.
Minority communities are suspicious of the country’s new leaders despite their pledges to protect them, and until now the province of Suweida had remained largely under the control of Druze militias which resisted calls to join the government’s forces.
Some support is available. Young carers are entitled to assessments from their local council to…
Moving from daily injections to a weekly jab is most likely to benefit those who…
Lindsay Clancy is accused of killing her three children in Massachusetts in 2023. Her defence…
Merck and Moderna are calling this a personalised vaccine, meaning it works by targeting an…
Verified videos show the aftermath of Tuesday and Wednesday's strikes in Gaza City which show…
Israel has built about 160 settlements housing 700,000 Jews since it occupied the West Bank…