Categories: Health

Blood scandal victims ‘harmed further’ by compensation delays


PA

Campaigners have held frequent demonstrations in memory of loved ones who died due to infected blood used in medical procedures

Thousands of victims of the infected blood scandal are being “harmed further” by long waits for compensation, the chair of the public inquiry into the disaster has said.

In a hard-hitting report, Sir Brian Langstaff said there were “obvious injustices” in the way the scheme had been devised.

It is thought 30,000 people were infected with HIV and hepatitis B or C in the 1970s and 80s after being given contaminated blood products on the NHS.

The government has set aside £11.8bn to pay compensation and has said it is cutting red tape to speed up payments to victims.

The inquiry’s main report into the scandal, published last year, found that the disaster could largely have been avoided if different decisions had been taken by the health authorities at the time.

It said too little was done to stop the importing of contaminated blood products from abroad in the 1970s and 80s, and there was evidence that elements of the scandal had been covered up.

In May of this year, Sir Brian took the unusual step of ordering two days of extra hearings after he received “letter after letter, email after email” expressing concerns about the way the government’s compensation scheme for victims had been managed.

His extra 200-page report, published on Wednesday, was based on that evidence, and found that victims had been “harmed further” by the way they had been treated over the last 12 months.

The latest figures from the Infected Blood Compensation Authority (IBCA), which was set up by the government to administer payments, show that 2,043 people have been asked to start their claims so far and 460 have received full compensation.

The scheme is open to those who were infected and also their family members, including parents, children and siblings, who can claim compensation in their own right as someone affected by the scandal.

Sir Brian’s new report found victims had been “harmed further” by the way they had been treated over the last 12 months.

“The UK government has known for years that compensation for thousands of people was inevitable and had identified many of those who should have it,” he said.

“But only 460 have received compensation so far and many, many more have not even been allowed to begin the process.”

Kate Burt, chief executive of the Haemophilia Society, said: “Government’s failure to listen to those at the heart of the contaminated blood scandal has shamefully been exposed by the infected blood inquiry yet again.

“This failure is exhausting, damaging and is stripping this community of its dignity.”

She called for “urgent action” on a “fair and fast” compensation settlement, adding: “Only then can they move on from the past and finally focus on what remains of their future.”

The inquiry’s new report makes a series of recommendations including:

  • Victims should be allowed to apply for compensation, rather than waiting to be invited
  • Victims and family members who are seriously ill, older, or who have never received compensation should get priority
  • A series of “injustices” needed to be addressed by, for example, allowing some victims infected with HIV before 1982 to apply for compensation
  • NHS patients who were the victims of medical experimentation should receive extra payments
  • The system as a whole needs to be more transparent with more involvement of those infected and their families

Speaking after his report was published, Sir Brian said that a significant cause of the blood scandal was the belief that authorities knew best and that people did not need to be consulted.

He said: “Decisions were made behind closed doors and when things went wrong people weren’t listening.

“It has happened again in the design of the compensation scheme. It will be a travesty to keep repeating these mistakes. People should not be kept at arms’ length.”

Earlier, Cabinet Office minister Nick Thomas-Symonds denied the government was “dragging its heels” over compensation.

He told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme he did not want to impose any further delays after “decades of injustice”.

“We’ve paid out over £488m,” he said, adding that he had been “very open that there are areas that I am willing to look at, listening to the voice of victims”.

The government also said last weekend that it was cutting red tape and taking other action to speed up compensation to victims and their families.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

Trump envoy Kushner meets Hamas leader to push Gaza peace plan

Whilst in Egypt, Kushner also met Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi. According to Israeli media…

22 hours ago

First Person: Syrians lead efforts to clear rubble and rebuild lives

The conflict there killed hundreds of thousands of people, displaced millions, and caused severe damage…

1 day ago

Gen Z women are teaching their mums about cycle syncing and periods

Iqra Wasim from Fishponds in Bristol has struggled with PMOS symptoms such as painful acne…

2 days ago

Men are turning to penis fillers, but are they safe?

Prof Vaibhav Modgil, an andrologist and consultant urological surgeon for the NHS in Manchester, has…

2 days ago

Qatar denies capturing three Iranian pilots after downing fighter jets

Iran has called for the release of three Iranian pilots it said were captured by…

2 days ago

Eleven killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon, authorities say

Eleven people have been killed in Israeli strikes in southern Lebanon, authorities say, in one…

2 days ago