Categories: Top Stories

IDF says it killed Hamas commander in cafe strike that killed dozens of civilians


Israeli forces say they killed the commander of Hamas’s naval force in northern Gaza in a strike on a seaside cafe in which dozens of civilians were killed.

After the attack on the popular al-Baqa cafe in Gaza City on Monday, family members in Gaza and abroad told the BBC of their shock at the scale of civilian casualties.

In a statement on Sunday, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said the strike killed Ramzi Ramadan Abd Ali Saleh, along with Hisham Ayman Atiya Mansour, deputy head of Hamas’s mortar unit, and Nissim Muhammad Suleiman Abu Sabha.

Saleh was a “significant source of knowledge” within Hamas and had been involved in planning and advancing “maritime terrorist attacks”, the IDF said.

Sources in Gaza had previously told the BBC a senior Hamas commander was rumoured to have been at the cafe at the time of the strike.

The IDF also said it had taken steps “to mitigate the risk of harming civilians” but did not provide any further details as to why so many people were killed in the incident.

The BBC has reviewed 29 names of people reported killed in the strike on the cafe, at least nine of whom were women, while several were children and teenagers.

Those killed included artists, students, social activists, a female boxer, a footballer and cafe staff.

Staff at Shifa Hospital, which received bodies from the attack, said its toll as of Thursday had reached 40 dead, including people who had succumbed to their injuries, and unidentified bodies.

An official at the hospital said some of the bodies had been “blown to pieces”, and that 72 injured patients were brought there – many having sustained severe burns and significant injuries that required surgery.

The al-Baqa Cafeteria was well-known across the Gaza Strip, and considered by many to be among the territory’s most scenic and vibrant meeting spots.

It had remained popular even during the war, especially due to its unusually stable internet connection.

The IDF did not directly respond to multiple BBC questions about whether it considered the number of civilian casualties to be proportionate.

In its statement on Sunday it said it would “continue to operate against the Hamas terrorist organization in order to remove any threat posed to Israeli civilians”, before saying the “incident” was “under review”.

Meanwhile, indirect talks between Israel and Hamas began in Qatar on Sunday to discuss the latest proposal for a Gaza ceasefire and hostage release deal.

The Israeli military launched a campaign in Gaza in response to the 7 October 2023 attack, in which about 1,200 people were killed and 251 others were taken hostage.

At least 57,338 people have been killed in Gaza since then, according to the territory’s Hamas-run health ministry.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

Erin survived cancer aged 21 – now it’s a race against time for a chance of a baby

Nail technician Erin, who missed two years of work during her cancer treatment, also has…

6 hours ago

Qusra siege eases as UN reaches trapped families, but crisis deepens in Gaza

UN teams on the ground reached the families after they were confined to their homes…

16 hours ago

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

According to local authorities, the disease has killed 2,325 people, surpassing the 2,299 deaths recorded…

16 hours ago

Trump envoy Kushner meets Hamas leader to push Gaza peace plan

Whilst in Egypt, Kushner also met Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi. According to Israeli media…

1 day ago

First Person: Syrians lead efforts to clear rubble and rebuild lives

The conflict there killed hundreds of thousands of people, displaced millions, and caused severe damage…

2 days ago

Gen Z women are teaching their mums about cycle syncing and periods

Iqra Wasim from Fishponds in Bristol has struggled with PMOS symptoms such as painful acne…

2 days ago