Categories: Europe

UN rights chief calls for end to daily killings in Ukraine after deadly weekend attacks



The majority of those killed and injured were in major cities such as Kyiv, Kharkiv, and Mykolaiv, or in populated areas in other regions.

Meanwhile, large numbers of long-range drones launched into Russia by Ukrainian armed forces injured at least 11 civilians over the weekend, according to Russian authorities.

Silence the guns

High Commissioner Volker Türk underscored the urgency for an end to hostilities.

“It is time to put an end to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, to commit to – and implement – a comprehensive ceasefire that stops the daily killing and destruction, and to start genuine peace negotiations, built on respect for international law,” he said.

He highlighted that – even amid ongoing hostilities – people deprived of their liberty must be protected. Summary executions, torture and all forms of inhumane and degrading treatment of prisoners are always prohibited, in any circumstances, and must stop immediately.

In addition, civilian detainees should be released as soon as the lawful reason for their detention ceases to exist and their protection against refoulement must be ensured, he said.

Relief, but also loss

High Commissioner Türk welcomed the recent exchange of prisoners of war and civilian detainees.

Eight hundred eighty prisoners of war and 120 civilians from each side were exchanged. Most of the civilians appeared to have been detainees, but details on individuals included in the exchange are not yet available, according to his office, OHCHR.

“Many families can now breathe a sigh of relief because their loved ones have finally returned home,” Mr. Türk said.

“But at the same time, other families have lost relatives and their homes, as their communities across Ukraine came under attack.”

Impact on children

In a separate statement, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) expressed deep concern for the impact of the latest attacks on Ukraine’s children.

Munir Mammadzade, UNICEF Representative in Ukraine, said that in the past three days, at least three children were reportedly killed in Zhytomyr, and at least 13 children were injured in several regions across the country.

“Ukraine’s children have suffered for far too long. How many more futures must be stolen? The senseless violence and loss of young lives must stop,” Mr. Mammadzade said.

According to UNICEF, more than 220 children were killed or injured between January and April 2025 – a 40 per cent increase compared to the same period last year.

“Attacks on civilian areas must end, and children must always be protected,” Mr. Mammadzade emphasised. “Above all, children need an end to this war.”



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

Gaza: Multiple deadly Israeli strikes in under 24 hours

Verified videos show the aftermath of Tuesday and Wednesday's strikes in Gaza City which show…

2 hours ago

Israel opens up tenders for controversial West Bank settlement project

Israel has built about 160 settlements housing 700,000 Jews since it occupied the West Bank…

3 hours ago

Salmonella outbreak: What we know so far

The vaccination of commercial hens against common salmonella strains, which began in the mid-1990s in…

3 hours ago

Israeli army orders criminal investigation into killing of Palestinian girl Hind Rajab in Gaza

The Israeli army has ordered a criminal investigation into the killing in Gaza of five-year-old…

7 hours ago

UK salmonella outbreak leaves one dead and hundreds ill

A person has died and hundreds have fallen ill with salmonella food poisoning in an…

7 hours ago

Sudan war: 200,000 newly displaced as fighting and floods intensify

In an alert, the agency also warned that relief access has been disrupted further by…

7 hours ago