Categories: Top Stories

US and Iran close to nuclear deal, Trump says


US President Donald Trump says that Iran has “sort of” agreed to the terms of a nuclear deal with the United States.

Trump described the latest talks between the two countries, which ended on Sunday, as “very serious negotiations” for “long-term peace”.

Earlier, an adviser to Iran’s supreme leader told NBC News that Tehran was willing to make concessions on its nuclear programme in exchange for the lifting of sanctions.

The US has insisted that Iran must scrap its uranium enrichment to prevent the country developing nuclear weapons – though Iran insists its nuclear activities are entirely peaceful.

Speaking on Thursday in Qatar, on the second stop of his multi-day Gulf tour, Trump said that a deal was close on Iran’s nuclear programme and suggested a military strike on Tehran’s sites could be avoided.

“We’re not going to be making any nuclear dust in Iran,” Trump said after a meeting in Doha with business leaders.

“I think we’re getting close to maybe doing a deal without having to do this.

“You probably read today the story about Iran. It’s sort of agreed to the terms.”

The president did not specify which remarks he was referring to, but an adviser to Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Ali Shamkhani, said in a US media interview that Tehran was willing to accept far-reaching curbs on its nuclear programme.

Shamkhani told ABC News that Iran would give up stockpiles of highly enriched uranium as part of a deal in which the US lifts sanctions.

The latest talks over Tehran’s nuclear programme finished on Sunday, with both sides agreeing to meet again.

US Middle East Envoy Steve Witkoff said they were encouraging, while Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi described them as “difficult but useful”.

Trump pulled out of a previous nuclear agreement between Iran and five other world powers in 2018.

He previously warned of possible military action against Iran’s nuclear facilities if the fresh set of talks, which began in April, did not succeed.

A senior US official said the latest discussions lasted more than three hours, adding: “Agreement was reached to move forward with the talks to continue working through technical elements.

“We are encouraged by today’s outcome and look forward to our next meeting, which will happen in the near future.”



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

China considering summit with Seoul in November, South Korean foreign ministry says

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said on Wednesday (Aug 19) that Beijing was “actively considering”…

1 hour ago

Assad officer extradited to Syria on war crimes charges for first time

Lebanon has handed Syria a former general who served under the ousted regime of Bashar…

4 hours ago

As elections near, South Sudan risks new atrocity crimes, warns rights probe

Key points‘Rushing’ to elections could fuel conflict, says CommissionHundreds of ceasefire violations confirmedPeace deal still…

5 hours ago

Are eggs safe to eat? Your salmonella questions answered

The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) has recently declared a national outbreak of salmonella food…

6 hours ago

Why are women going to London for abortions?

Kate Morgan explains why some Welsh women are travelling to London for abortions. Source link

8 hours ago

What supplements do athletes consume every day?

Team GB rower Heidi Long takes BBC Sport through her vitamin and supplement routine. Source…

9 hours ago