Categories: Top Stories

Hamas says ‘no point’ to talks as Israel plans expanded Gaza offensive


A senior Hamas official has said there is “no point” in further talks on a new Gaza ceasefire and hostage release deal, after Israel approved an expanded offensive that may include seizing all of the Palestinian territory indefinitely.

Bassem Naim told the BBC the armed group would not engage with new proposals while Israel continued its “starvation war”.

On Monday, the Israeli military said the aim of the “wide-scale” operation was the return of hostages held by Hamas and its “decisive defeat”.

Israeli officials said it would involve “capturing” Gaza, displacing the majority of its population, and taking control of aid after a two-month blockade the UN says has caused severe food shortages.

The officials also said the offensive would not begin until after US President Donald Trump’s visit to the region next week, giving Hamas what they called a “window of opportunity” to agree to a deal.

But Bassem Naim’s comments on Tuesday seemed to counter that.

UN Secretary General António Guterres warned that expanded Israeli ground operations and a prolonged military presence would “inevitably lead to countless more civilians killed and the further destruction of Gaza”.

UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer and French President Emmanuel Macron expressed deep concern at recent developments and agreed that “a renewed peace process was required”, Downing Street said.

In Washington, President Trump said the US would help supply food to people in Gaza, without going into details.

“People are starving and we’re going to help them get some food. A lot of people are making it very, very bad,” he said. “Hamas is making it impossible because they’re taking everything that’s brought in.”

Israel cut off all deliveries of aid and other supplies on 2 March and resumed its offensive two weeks later after the collapse of a two-month ceasefire, saying it was putting pressure on Hamas to release hostages.

It also accused Hamas of stealing and storing aid – an allegation the group has denied.

Aid agencies have warned that with no change in policy, mass starvation is imminent.

They have also condemned Israel’s proposal to deliver aid through private companies at military hubs, saying it would be a breach of basic humanitarian principles and that they would not co-operate.

The UN has said Israel is obliged under international law to ensure food and medical supplies for Gaza’s population. Israel has said it is complying with international law and there is no aid shortage.

The Israeli military launched a campaign to destroy Hamas in response to an unprecedented cross-border attack on 7 October 2023, in which about 1,200 people were killed and 251 others were taken hostage.

At least 52,567 people have been killed in Gaza since then, including 2,459 since the Israeli offensive resumed, according to the territory’s Hamas-run health ministry.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

‘I’d love a normal life, but being a young carer means sacrifices’

Some support is available. Young carers are entitled to assessments from their local council to…

3 hours ago

Weekly type 2 diabetes jab could replace daily injections

Moving from daily injections to a weekly jab is most likely to benefit those who…

3 hours ago

What is postpartum psychosis at the centre of Lindsay Clancy trial?

Lindsay Clancy is accused of killing her three children in Massachusetts in 2023. Her defence…

6 hours ago

Vaccine breakthrough stops cancer returning in trial

Merck and Moderna are calling this a personalised vaccine, meaning it works by targeting an…

9 hours ago

Gaza: Multiple deadly Israeli strikes in under 24 hours

Verified videos show the aftermath of Tuesday and Wednesday's strikes in Gaza City which show…

10 hours ago

Israel opens up tenders for controversial West Bank settlement project

Israel has built about 160 settlements housing 700,000 Jews since it occupied the West Bank…

12 hours ago