Categories: Middle East

Syria: Children among the dead amid reports of mass killings and looting



According to Edouard Beigbeder, UNICEF’s Regional Director for the Middle East, a six-month-old baby was among at least 13 children reported to have been killed.

Clashes erupted on Friday between Syrian Caretaker Authority forces and soldiers loyal to the former Assad regime.

According to widely reported eyewitness accounts much of the killing occurred in Alawite neighbourhoods in the coastal provinces of Latakia and Tartus, the traditional stronghold of support for the former regime.

The Assad family belongs to the sect which is an offshoot of Shia Islam constituting around ten per cent of Syria’s population.

Authorities announced on Monday that the operation had ended, amid reports of civilian casualties, looting, mass displacement and infrastructure damage, including to power lines and at least six hospitals and several ambulances.

The escalation reportedly caused additional civilian casualties and injuries, the displacement of thousands of families, and damage to critical infrastructure,” Mr. Beigbeder said in a statement late on Sunday.

He called on all parties to prioritise reconciliation and commit to a peaceful political transition, ensuring that Syria’s children can survive, thrive, and reach their full potential.

The children of Syria have suffered enough. They have the right to live in peace and hope for a better future,” he stressed.

Volker Türk, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights also voiced deep concern over the latest violence.

“These events, as well as the continuous spike in hate speech both online and offline, illustrate once again the urgent need for a comprehensive transitional justice process that is nationally owned, inclusive, and centred on truth, justice and accountability,” he said in a statement on Sunday.

UN response efforts

UN humanitarian chief Tom Fletcher said that UN aid teams are working urgently to reach civilians affected by the recent fighting.

In an online message, he warned that the clashes have left even more Syrians displaced, without access to basic aid and in danger.

UN Spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric highlighted the devastating impact of the violence on civilians.

“As of yesterday, hundreds of people, including women and children, and medical personnel had been reportedly killed, thousands have ben reportedly been displaced, and many have fled into Lebanon seeking safety,” he told journalists at the regular press briefing in New York.

He also reported extensive damage to critical infrastructure, as well as a blockade on the main highway, limiting humanitarian access.

The UN relief coordination office (OCHA) estimates that 16.5 million people across Syria require humanitarian assistance.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

Erin survived cancer aged 21 – now it’s a race against time for a chance of a baby

Nail technician Erin, who missed two years of work during her cancer treatment, also has…

4 hours ago

Qusra siege eases as UN reaches trapped families, but crisis deepens in Gaza

UN teams on the ground reached the families after they were confined to their homes…

14 hours ago

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

According to local authorities, the disease has killed 2,325 people, surpassing the 2,299 deaths recorded…

14 hours ago

Trump envoy Kushner meets Hamas leader to push Gaza peace plan

Whilst in Egypt, Kushner also met Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi. According to Israeli media…

1 day ago

First Person: Syrians lead efforts to clear rubble and rebuild lives

The conflict there killed hundreds of thousands of people, displaced millions, and caused severe damage…

2 days ago

Gen Z women are teaching their mums about cycle syncing and periods

Iqra Wasim from Fishponds in Bristol has struggled with PMOS symptoms such as painful acne…

2 days ago