Categories: Top Stories

Syrian forces and Assad loyalists in deadly clashes in Latakia


Syrian forces loyal to the new government in Damascus have engaged in heavy fighting with remnants of the ousted Assad regime in a coastal area in the country’s north-west.

At least 13 soldiers have been killed in the clashes in Latakia province, close to a Russian-controlled airbase, according to state TV.

A curfew has been announced until Friday morning.

They are some of the most violent attacks on forces linked to Syria’s Islamist government since the fall of Bashar al-Assad in December.

Clashes continue in coastal areas that form the heartland of the Alawite community and are a stronghold of the Assad family.

Alawite activists said their community had been subjected to violence and attacks since Assad fell, particularly in rural Homs and Latakia.

State news agency Sana reported that “huge military reinforcements” were heading to the city of Jableh.

Late on Thursday, Syrian-based Step news agency, was reporting that government-aligned forces had killed “about 70” former regime fighters, while more than 25 others were captured in Jableh and surrounds.

The AFP news agency said 28 gunman loyal to Assad were killed, citing monitors, and added that government forces were using helicopters to attack targets.

The BBC has been unable to verify the figures.

A spokesman for Syria’s defence ministry, Colonel Hassan Abdul Ghani, issued a warning to Assad loyalists via state media.

“Thousands have chosen to surrender their weapons and return to their families, while some insist on fleeing and dying in defence of murderers and criminals. The choice is clear: lay down your weapons or face your inevitable fate,” he said.

The region has become a major security challenge for interim president Ahmed al-Sharaa.

He is also facing resistance in the south, where there have been clashes with Druze forces in recent days.

Earlier this week, Syria’s foreign minister told the global chemical weapons watchdog that the new government was committed to destroying any remaining stockpiles produced under-Assad.

Assad’s government denied ever using chemical weapons during the 14-year civil war, but activists accused it of carrying out of dozens of chemical attacks.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

Children’s stunted lungs show recovery in ultra low emission zone

Scientists say they have been "stunned" by how quickly young children's lungs began to recover…

24 minutes ago

Lindsay Clancy begged for help before her children’s killings, mother-in-law testifies

Warning: This story contains distressing details and discussion of attempted suicideLindsay Clancy was "begging for…

6 hours ago

One dead and hundreds ill in UK salmonella outbreak

Symptoms include stomach cramps, diarrhoea, vomiting or fever. These usually develop between 12 and 72…

8 hours ago

'I survived cancer, now I'm fighting for my future family'

Cancer survivor fights for egg preservation fertility treatment Source link

12 hours ago

Trump Praises Kim Jong Un Ties, Says They Make Region Safer as US Scales Back Military Exercises With South Korea

US President Donald Trump said Monday that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un had responded…

12 hours ago

Gaza: Only three per cent of cropland available to grow food

Satellite images published on Tuesday in news analysis from the UN Food and Agriculture Organization…

12 hours ago