Categories: Africa

Eastern DR Congo: Crisis deepens amid a surge in crime and insecurity



According to the UN relief coordination office, OCHA, aid workers have been among those killed, and widespread human rights violations have been reported, UN Spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric told journalists at a regular news briefing in New York.

“In Lubero Territory, north of Goma, clashes last week forced more than 100,000 people – about half of them children – to flee their homes,” Mr. Dujarric said.

Several local health facilities had to suspend activities, and our partners report widespread human rights violations, including rape.

Escalating violence in North and South Kivu

The humanitarian situation continues to deteriorate as M23 rebels push deeper into the region, capturing key towns and displacing thousands. The security situation remains volatile, with increasing reports of crime and targeted violence.

In Goma, criminal activity has surged, with home invasions, kidnappings and vehicle hijackings targeting humanitarian agencies. Some incidents have resulted in deaths.

A similar increase in crime and insecurity has been reported in South Kivu, particularly in Bukavu and Uvira, where rape and looting have also been documented, according to UN aid partners.

In North Kivu, a humanitarian worker was struck by a stray bullet during clashes in Masisi Territory on 20 February and died from his injuries on Saturday, bringing the total number of aid workers killed in the region since January to six.

“OCHA calls on all parties to conflict to uphold their obligations under international humanitarian law and international human rights law,” Mr. Dujarric said.

Unstable and highly unpredictable

The UN peacekeeping mission in the country (MONUSCO) also warned that the security situation in areas seized by M23 rebels remains “unstable and highly unpredictable”, with reports indicating further advances by the group towards Lubero.

Mr. Dujarric reported MONUSCO’s ability to deliver on its mandate remains “significantly restricted” in M23-controlled areas in North Kivu.

“However, the Mission continues to provide protection to thousands of people who have sought refuge within its various bases while seeking ways to ensure their safe transfer out of Goma,” he added.

Earlier in the day, MONUSCO facilitated the medical evacuation of 19 troops from the Southern African Development Community Mission in the DRC (SAMIDRC) from the eastern regional capital, Goma.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

Lindsay Clancy's family testify in murder trial

Clancy's mother, sister and former mother-in-law have testified in court as the trial continues. Source…

1 hour ago

US condemns ‘unnecessary escalation’ after Israeli airstrikes on Syrian airbase

The United States has issued a rare rebuke of Israel after reports emerged it struck…

9 hours ago

Children’s stunted lungs show recovery in ultra low emission zone

Scientists say they have been "stunned" by how quickly young children's lungs began to recover…

10 hours ago

Lindsay Clancy begged for help before her children’s killings, mother-in-law testifies

Warning: This story contains distressing details and discussion of attempted suicideLindsay Clancy was "begging for…

16 hours ago

One dead and hundreds ill in UK salmonella outbreak

Symptoms include stomach cramps, diarrhoea, vomiting or fever. These usually develop between 12 and 72…

18 hours ago

'I survived cancer, now I'm fighting for my future family'

Cancer survivor fights for egg preservation fertility treatment Source link

21 hours ago