Categories: Top Stories

Trump’s Gaza plan will be seen as flying in face of international law


Since the 7 October 2023 attacks on Israel, these groups – leaders of whom have been part of Netanyahu’s coalition – have demanded the war against Hamas continues indefinitely, vowing ultimately to re-establish Israeli settlements in the Gaza Strip.

They have continued their calls and opposed the current ceasefire and hostage release deal.

In his White House press conference with the Israeli prime minister, Trump went further even than his recent growing calls for the Palestinians in Gaza to be “relocated” to Egypt and Jordan, saying that the United States would then take the territory over and rebuild it.

When asked whether Palestinians would be allowed back, he said “the world’s people” would live there, saying it would be an “international, unbelievable place”, before adding “also Palestinians”.

His Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff earlier in the day summed up much of the tone around the proposal, saying of Trump “this guy knows real estate”.

Trump said it would be the “Riviera of the Middle East”.

Asked whether American troops would be involved in the take over of Gaza, Mr Trump said “we’ll do what is necessary”.

His proposals amount to the most radical transformation in the US position on the territory since the creation of the state of Israel in 1948 and the war of 1967, which saw the start of Israel’s military occupation of land including the Gaza Strip.

Gaza was already home to Palestinians who fled or were forced from their homes in the wars surrounding Israel’s creation.

They and their descendants make up the vast majority of Gaza’s population to this day.

Trump’s proposals, if enacted, would involve that population, now more than two million people, being forced elsewhere in the Arab world or even beyond, says Trump, to “resettle… permanently”.

The proposals would wipe out the possibility of a future two-state solution in any conventional sense and will be categorically rejected by Palestinians and the Arab world as an expulsion plan.

Much of Netanyahu’s political base and the ultranationalist settler movement in Israel will champion President Trump’s words, seeing them as the fulfilment of a means as Netanyahu puts it to stop “Gaza being a threat to Israel”.

For ordinary Palestinians, it would amount to a mass act of collective punishment.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

Vaccine breakthrough stops cancer returning in trial

Merck and Moderna are calling this a personalised vaccine, meaning it works by targeting an…

2 hours ago

Gaza: Multiple deadly Israeli strikes in under 24 hours

Verified videos show the aftermath of Tuesday and Wednesday's strikes in Gaza City which show…

3 hours ago

Israel opens up tenders for controversial West Bank settlement project

Israel has built about 160 settlements housing 700,000 Jews since it occupied the West Bank…

5 hours ago

Salmonella outbreak: What we know so far

The vaccination of commercial hens against common salmonella strains, which began in the mid-1990s in…

5 hours ago

Israeli army orders criminal investigation into killing of Palestinian girl Hind Rajab in Gaza

The Israeli army has ordered a criminal investigation into the killing in Gaza of five-year-old…

8 hours ago

UK salmonella outbreak leaves one dead and hundreds ill

A person has died and hundreds have fallen ill with salmonella food poisoning in an…

9 hours ago