Categories: Top Stories

Israel-Gaza war: Hamas-run ministry says Israeli strikes kill 50


Another strike hit a Civil Defence building in the urban Nuseirat refugee camp in central Gaza.

Civil Defence spokesman Mahmoud Basal said the strike killed the directors of its Nuseirat and Sheikh Radwan centres along with two volunteers, one of whom he named as Ahmad Baker al-Louh. Another five people were injured, three of them critically, he added.

“The Israeli occupation has once again shown the world that there is no protection for humanitarian workers in Gaza and no adherence to international humanitarian laws,” he said, adding that 94 Civil Defence workers had been killed since the start of the war.

Ahmad al-Louh was a cameraman for the Qatar-based Al Jazeera network, which strongly condemned what it called Israel’s “targeted killing” of its journalist.

It said Louh had been covering a rescue operation by the Civil Defence following an earlier strike on Sunday and that it came “just days after the targeting of his house”.

“The network calls on all human rights and media organisations to condemn the Israeli occupation’s systematic killing of journalists in cold blood, the evasion of responsibilities under international humanitarian law, and to bring the perpetrators of this heinous crime to justice,” a statement said.

The IDF said the Civil Defence building was used by “terrorists to plan and carry out an imminent terror attack against IDF troops”.

“Among the terrorists eliminated in the strike was the Islamic Jihad terrorist Ahmad Bakr al-Louh, who previously served as a platoon commander in the Islamic Jihad’s Central Camps Brigade,” it alleged, without providing any evidence.

Al Jazeera did not comment on the Israeli allegation, but Louh’s cousin Mahmoud told the Associated Press, external: “We were stunned by the Israeli occupation statement.”

“These claims are lies and misleading to cover up this crime,” he added.

The Committee to Protect Journalists says at least 137 journalists and media workers have been killed in Gaza, the occupied West Bank, Israel and Lebanon since the war began.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

Trump envoy Kushner meets Hamas leader to push Gaza peace plan

Whilst in Egypt, Kushner also met Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi. According to Israeli media…

23 hours ago

First Person: Syrians lead efforts to clear rubble and rebuild lives

The conflict there killed hundreds of thousands of people, displaced millions, and caused severe damage…

1 day ago

Gen Z women are teaching their mums about cycle syncing and periods

Iqra Wasim from Fishponds in Bristol has struggled with PMOS symptoms such as painful acne…

2 days ago

Men are turning to penis fillers, but are they safe?

Prof Vaibhav Modgil, an andrologist and consultant urological surgeon for the NHS in Manchester, has…

2 days ago

Qatar denies capturing three Iranian pilots after downing fighter jets

Iran has called for the release of three Iranian pilots it said were captured by…

2 days ago

Eleven killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon, authorities say

Eleven people have been killed in Israeli strikes in southern Lebanon, authorities say, in one…

2 days ago