Categories: Health

Hospitals hit by ‘tidal wave’ of winter viruses


Dr Adrian Boyle, of the Royal College of Emergency Medicine, said the flu vaccination rates were disappointing this year, adding there was now a lot of spread happening within hospitals.

He said the pressures on A&E and the rest of the emergency system were worst than last winter – and could be heading to the levels seen in 2022-23, which is regarded as one of the worst winters in generation for delays and waits.

Combined, the winter viruses are taking up around 5% of beds, but Dr Boyle said that was enough to cause “real problems” because hospitals were already so busy going into winter with around 95% of beds full, leaving little capacity.

“It does not take much of an increase. It’s a real struggle at the moment. We are seeing long waits with many hospitals having the equivalent of a ward of patients backed up in A&E because there are no beds available.”

Figures for November show 28% of patients waited longer than the target time of four hours in A&E.

At a meeting with health leaders earlier this week, Health Secretary Wes Streeting told hospitals to prioritise safety and the very longest waits instead of worrying about the target.

But there was more positive news regarding the hospital waiting list with figures for October showing the NHS saw more than 2.2 million patients starting treatment, the highest on record and after a period when hospitals were struggling to increase productivity.

Streeting said a combination of ending the strikes in the NHS and ramping up the number of appointments available had started to make a difference with signs the waiting list – currently at over 7.5 million – was starting to fall.

“There’s a long way to go, but we will get patients seen on time again.”



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

US says sanctions will ‘squash’ Iran’s economy and ‘collapse’ its regime

The Iranian economy has long been struggling under the weight of decades of international sanctions,…

1 hour ago

UK, France, Germany, Italy and Canada condemn Israel’s West Bank settlement project

Despite an Israeli court challenge to the plans by Bedouin Palestinians living in the area…

2 hours ago

North Korea launches 10 ballistic missiles as US-South Korea drills near end

South Korea’s presidential office condemned North Korea’s launch of more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles…

5 hours ago

China considering summit with Seoul in November, South Korean foreign ministry says

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said on Wednesday (Aug 19) that Beijing was “actively considering”…

6 hours ago

Assad officer extradited to Syria on war crimes charges for first time

Lebanon has handed Syria a former general who served under the ousted regime of Bashar…

8 hours ago

As elections near, South Sudan risks new atrocity crimes, warns rights probe

Key points‘Rushing’ to elections could fuel conflict, says CommissionHundreds of ceasefire violations confirmedPeace deal still…

9 hours ago