Categories: Top Stories

Syrian troops withdraw from Aleppo as rebels advance


The civil war has been largely dormant since a ceasefire agreed in 2020, but opposition forces still controlled the north-western city of Idlib and much of the surrounding province.

Idlib sits just 55km (34 miles) from Aleppo, which itself was a rebel stronghold until it fell to government forces in 2016.

The current offensive, which was launched on Wednesday, has been led by a jihadist group known at Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) and allied factions backed by Turkey.

HTS was regarded as one of the most effective and deadly of the groups fighting the Assad government and was already the dominant force in Idlib.

The rebels have taken control of Aleppo’s airport and dozens of nearby towns, according to the SOHR.

They also announced a curfew that came into force at 17:00 local time (14:00 GMT) and will remain in place until Sunday.

The Syrian army said rebels had launched “a broad attack from multiple axes on the Aleppo and Idlib fronts” and that battles had taken place “over a strip exceeding 100km (60 miles)”.

It said dozens of its soldiers had been killed and acknowledged that rebels had entered “large parts” of Aleppo.

Government forces said they had temporarily withdrawn from Aleppo, but added earlier that they were preparing a counterattack.

Pictures showed the roads leading out of Aleppo jammed with cars on Saturday as residents tried to leave.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

Israel opens up tenders for controversial West Bank settlement project

Israel has built about 160 settlements housing 700,000 Jews since it occupied the West Bank…

1 hour ago

Salmonella outbreak: What we know so far

The vaccination of commercial hens against common salmonella strains, which began in the mid-1990s in…

1 hour ago

Israeli army orders criminal investigation into killing of Palestinian girl Hind Rajab in Gaza

The Israeli army has ordered a criminal investigation into the killing in Gaza of five-year-old…

4 hours ago

UK salmonella outbreak leaves one dead and hundreds ill

A person has died and hundreds have fallen ill with salmonella food poisoning in an…

5 hours ago

Sudan war: 200,000 newly displaced as fighting and floods intensify

In an alert, the agency also warned that relief access has been disrupted further by…

5 hours ago

Australian mushroom murderer Erin Patterson begins appeal against sentence

An Australian court will on Wednesday (Aug 19) begin hearing the appeal of a woman…

6 hours ago