Categories: Top Stories

Israel warns against returning to 60 Lebanon villages


On Thursday, the IDF said its forces fired artillery and carried out air strikes against targets in southern Lebanon. It added that it had fired at suspects after spotting activity at a Hezbollah weapons facility, and vehicles arriving in several areas, which it said breached the ceasefire.

Lebanon accused Israel of violating the agreement “multiple times” and said it was monitoring the situation.

A multinational monitoring group which includes representatives from the US, France, and the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (Unifil) was set up as part of the ceasefire to oversee compliance with its terms.

In his first interview since the ceasefire was declared, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he had instructed the IDF to wage “an intensive war” should Hezbollah commit a “massive violation” of the ceasefire.

The ceasefire “can be short”, he said in the interview with Israel’s Channel 14.

Under the terms of the agreement, which was brokered by the US and France, Israeli forces will withdraw from south Lebanon as the Lebanese army deploys there simultaneously with no other armed groups allowed to operate in the area. This is meant to happen within 60 days from the start of the ceasefire.

The zone which the IDF said residents should not yet return to stretches from Mansouri on the coast to Shebaa in the east.

On Wednesday, the Lebanese army warned residents not to return to areas where Israeli forces were before they had withdrawn.

Israel invaded southern Lebanon at the start of last month after the IDF intensified military action against Hezbollah.

Hezbollah began the current conflict with Israel by firing rockets in and around northern Israel on 8 October 2023, a day after Hamas’ unprecedented attack on Israel from Gaza which killed about 1,200 people.

Hezbollah said it was acting in solidarity with the Palestinians after Israel responded to the Hamas attack with a massive military campaign in Gaza. The Hamas-run health ministry says at least 44,330 Palestinians have been killed in the Israeli offensive.

Since 8 October, Israel and Hezbollah have exchanged fire with increasing intensity. The Lebanese health ministry said Israeli strikes had killed at least 3,961 people and injured 16,520 others in that period. The figures do not differentiate between civilians and combatants.

Hezbollah’s attacks have killed 31 soldiers and 45 civilians inside Israel, Israeli authorities say. Another 45 Israeli soldiers have been killed fighting in southern Lebanon.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

Erin survived cancer aged 21 – now it’s a race against time for a chance of a baby

Nail technician Erin, who missed two years of work during her cancer treatment, also has…

8 hours ago

Qusra siege eases as UN reaches trapped families, but crisis deepens in Gaza

UN teams on the ground reached the families after they were confined to their homes…

17 hours ago

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

According to local authorities, the disease has killed 2,325 people, surpassing the 2,299 deaths recorded…

17 hours ago

Trump envoy Kushner meets Hamas leader to push Gaza peace plan

Whilst in Egypt, Kushner also met Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi. According to Israeli media…

1 day ago

First Person: Syrians lead efforts to clear rubble and rebuild lives

The conflict there killed hundreds of thousands of people, displaced millions, and caused severe damage…

2 days ago

Gen Z women are teaching their mums about cycle syncing and periods

Iqra Wasim from Fishponds in Bristol has struggled with PMOS symptoms such as painful acne…

2 days ago