Categories: Top Stories

Red Sea sinking: Four bodies recovered as search continues


Tuesday’s update from the Red Sea governor, Maj-Gen Amr Hanafi, brings the total number of people rescued to 33.

The Sea Story left port near the eastern town of Marsa Alam on Sunday for a five-day diving trip, officials said.

The boat sent a distress signal at 05:30 (03:30 GMT) on Monday, according to the governor of the Red Sea governorate.

Hanafi said the boat sank within five to seven minutes and that some people were unable to escape from their cabins.

Survivors were found in the Wadi el-Gemal area, south of Marsa Alam, he added.

On Saturday, the Egyptian Meteorological Authority issued warnings about turbulence and high waves on the Mediterranean and Red seas.

Wind speeds were between 37-43 mph (60-70 kmph), and wave heights were three to four metres (10-13ft) high, they said.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

Gaza: Multiple deadly Israeli strikes in under 24 hours

Verified videos show the aftermath of Tuesday and Wednesday's strikes in Gaza City which show…

1 hour ago

Israel opens up tenders for controversial West Bank settlement project

Israel has built about 160 settlements housing 700,000 Jews since it occupied the West Bank…

3 hours ago

Salmonella outbreak: What we know so far

The vaccination of commercial hens against common salmonella strains, which began in the mid-1990s in…

3 hours ago

Israeli army orders criminal investigation into killing of Palestinian girl Hind Rajab in Gaza

The Israeli army has ordered a criminal investigation into the killing in Gaza of five-year-old…

6 hours ago

UK salmonella outbreak leaves one dead and hundreds ill

A person has died and hundreds have fallen ill with salmonella food poisoning in an…

7 hours ago

Sudan war: 200,000 newly displaced as fighting and floods intensify

In an alert, the agency also warned that relief access has been disrupted further by…

7 hours ago