Categories: Top Stories

At least 34 killed in Israeli strike on Beit Lahia, northern Gaza


“The chances of rescuing more wounded are decreasing because of the continuous shooting and artillery shelling,” civil defence spokesman Mahmud Bassal said.

All that is left of the residential building in Beit Lahia is a pile of rubble, with broken concrete and jagged shards of twisted metal sticking out from the ruins.

One man, whose family lived in the flattened building, but was staying elsewhere, said, quoted by AFP: “We all thought that death was near.”

“The whole area was shaking.”

The Israeli military said its offensive in northern Gaza – which began in Jabalia and expanded into Beit Lahia – consisted of several strikes overnight on what it called “terrorist targets in the area”.

It added in a statement that “there have been continuous efforts to evacuate the civilian population from the active war zone”.

But many local residents do not want to leave their homes. Mr Bassel said six families had lived in the razed building in Beit Lahia.

One woman in the area vented her frustration to BBC News.

“What have we done to you people? What harm have we caused you? What wrong have we committed? We are staying in our homes. Why are you driving us out?”

Last week, at least 25 people, including 13 children were killed in a strike on a house in Jabalia. In Gaza City, another five were killed.

Israel’s ground offensive in northern Gaza has displaced up to 130,000 people over the past five weeks.

The United Nations says 75,000 people remain under siege with dwindling supplies of water and food in the towns of Jabalia, Beit Lahia and Beit Hanoun.

A report by Human Rights Watch this week said Israel had committed war crimes and crimes against humanity by deliberately causing the mass displacement of Palestinians in Gaza.

About 1.9 million people – 90% of Gaza’s population – have fled their homes over the past year, and 79% of the territory is under Israeli-issued evacuation orders, according to the UN.

Israel launched a campaign to destroy Hamas in response to the group’s unprecedented attack on southern Israel on 7 October 2023, in which about 1,200 people were killed and 251 others were taken hostage.

More than 43,700 people have been killed in Gaza since then, according to the territory’s Hamas-run health ministry.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

Wellness habits you can start today – at no (or little) cost

The cost of studio memberships can be pretty high, so people are increasingly organising their…

4 hours ago

US says sanctions will ‘squash’ Iran’s economy and ‘collapse’ its regime

The Iranian economy has long been struggling under the weight of decades of international sanctions,…

9 hours ago

UK, France, Germany, Italy and Canada condemn Israel’s West Bank settlement project

Despite an Israeli court challenge to the plans by Bedouin Palestinians living in the area…

10 hours ago

North Korea launches 10 ballistic missiles as US-South Korea drills near end

South Korea’s presidential office condemned North Korea’s launch of more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles…

13 hours ago

China considering summit with Seoul in November, South Korean foreign ministry says

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said on Wednesday (Aug 19) that Beijing was “actively considering”…

13 hours ago

Assad officer extradited to Syria on war crimes charges for first time

Lebanon has handed Syria a former general who served under the ousted regime of Bashar…

16 hours ago