Categories: Top Stories

Israel fighting Hezbollah with ‘full force’ despite ceasefire calls


Around 70,000 Israelis have been displaced from the north of the country since hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah, sparked by the war in Gaza, began nearly a year ago.

In Lebanon, around 90,000 people have been displaced since Israeli military action ramped up on Monday, adding to the 110,000 who had fled their homes already, according to the UN.

The US, UK and EU formed part of a 12-strong bloc that called for a three week ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah on Wednesday.

The ceasefire call was welcomed by Lebanon’s caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati, but Hezbollah have not yet commented.

The US later said the call had been coordinated with Israel, despite Netanyahu’s assertion, just hours later, that Israel would continue fighting.

Through Thursday, the Israeli military said it struck Hezbollah targets in Lebanon’s south and in the Bekaa Valley in the country’s east.

It said the attacks included infrastructure on the Lebanese-Syrian border to cut weapons supplies to the group.

Israel’s military chief Lt Gen Herzi Halevi said on Wednesday Israeli air strikes on Lebanon could pave the way for the IDF to “enter enemy territory”.

Israeli Air Force (IAF) Commander Maj Gen Tomer Bar told troops on Thursday they should be “prepared” to support a “ground manoeuvre” into Lebanon.

Meanwhile, Qatar joined calls for a de-escalation with government spokesman Majed al-Ansari saying the country had received “horrific reports from Lebanon about targeting whole families, in a way that is similar to the atrocities in Gaza”.

After meeting with British and Australian counterparts in London, US Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin said that Israel and Hezbollah face the risk of “an all-out war” but that “a diplomatic solution is still viable”.

“Israel has stated that its goal is to return its citizens to their home in the north. I believe the quickest way to do that is through diplomacy,” Austin said.

On Thursday evening, Israel’s defense ministry (IMoD) said it had secured an $8.7bn (£6.5bn) US aid package to support its current military campaigns.

In a statement, IMoD said the package includes $3.5bn for “essential wartime procurement”, which has already been transferred, and $5.2bn for air defense systems such as the Iron Dome, David’s Sling and an advanced laser system.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

Erin survived cancer aged 21 – now it’s a race against time for a chance of a baby

Nail technician Erin, who missed two years of work during her cancer treatment, also has…

10 hours ago

Qusra siege eases as UN reaches trapped families, but crisis deepens in Gaza

UN teams on the ground reached the families after they were confined to their homes…

20 hours ago

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

According to local authorities, the disease has killed 2,325 people, surpassing the 2,299 deaths recorded…

20 hours ago

Trump envoy Kushner meets Hamas leader to push Gaza peace plan

Whilst in Egypt, Kushner also met Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi. According to Israeli media…

2 days ago

First Person: Syrians lead efforts to clear rubble and rebuild lives

The conflict there killed hundreds of thousands of people, displaced millions, and caused severe damage…

2 days ago

Gen Z women are teaching their mums about cycle syncing and periods

Iqra Wasim from Fishponds in Bristol has struggled with PMOS symptoms such as painful acne…

2 days ago