Categories: Top Stories

Israel says 100 Hezbollah rocket launchers hit in southern Lebanon


In his televised address on Thursday, Hassan Nasrallah said of Tuesday and Wednesday’s attacks: “The enemy crossed all rules, laws and red lines. It didn’t care about anything at all, not morally, not humanely, not legally.”

“This is massacre, a major aggression against Lebanon, its people, its resistance, its sovereignty, and its security. It can be called war crimes or a declaration of war – whatever you choose to name it, it is deserving and fits the description. This was the enemy’s intention,” he added.

As Nasrallah spoke, Israeli warplanes caused sonic booms over Beirut, scaring an already-exhausted population, and others struck targets in southern Lebanon.

The Hezbollah leader acknowledged that this was a massive and unprecedented blow for his group, but he insisted that its ability to command and communicate remained intact.

Nasrallah’s tone was defiant and he vowed a harsh punishment. But, again, he indicated that Hezbollah was not interested in an escalation of its current conflict with Israel.

The group’s cross-border attacks, he said, were going to continue unless there was a ceasefire in Gaza, and that no killings or assassinations would return residents to northern Israel.

The IDF said on Thursday that its chief of staff, Lt Gen Herzi Halevi, had “recently completed approval of plans for the northern arena”.

Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant later said that “in the new phase of the war there are significant opportunities but also significant risks”.

“Hezbollah feels that it is being persecuted and the sequence of military actions will continue,” he added.

“Our goal is to ensure the safe return of Israel’s northern communities to their homes. As time goes by, Hezbollah will pay an increasing price.”

It is not clear how Israel intends to achieve this goal. But reports earlier this week suggested that the general in charge of the IDF’s Northern Command favoured the creation of an Israeli-controlled buffer zone inside southern Lebanon.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken called for restraint on all sides.

“We don’t want to see any escalatory actions by any party” that would make the goal of achieving a ceasefire in Gaza more difficult, he said as he joined European foreign ministers in Paris to discuss the widening crisis.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

US says sanctions will ‘squash’ Iran’s economy and ‘collapse’ its regime

The Iranian economy has long been struggling under the weight of decades of international sanctions,…

50 minutes ago

UK, France, Germany, Italy and Canada condemn Israel’s West Bank settlement project

Despite an Israeli court challenge to the plans by Bedouin Palestinians living in the area…

2 hours ago

North Korea launches 10 ballistic missiles as US-South Korea drills near end

South Korea’s presidential office condemned North Korea’s launch of more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles…

5 hours ago

China considering summit with Seoul in November, South Korean foreign ministry says

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said on Wednesday (Aug 19) that Beijing was “actively considering”…

5 hours ago

Assad officer extradited to Syria on war crimes charges for first time

Lebanon has handed Syria a former general who served under the ousted regime of Bashar…

8 hours ago

As elections near, South Sudan risks new atrocity crimes, warns rights probe

Key points‘Rushing’ to elections could fuel conflict, says CommissionHundreds of ceasefire violations confirmedPeace deal still…

9 hours ago