On Thursday morning, Hezbollah fighters in southern Lebanon fired two anti-tank missiles across the border, followed by drones.
The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said two Israeli soldiers were killed and a third seriously wounded.
The latest exchanges come at a time when Israel says its military focus has shifted away from Gaza to the situation in the north.
The IDF said on Thursday that its chief of staff, Lt Gen Herzi Halevi, had “recently completed approval of plans for the northern arena”.
Later, at a meeting of military and intelligence chiefs, Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant said: “In the new phase of the war there are significant opportunities but also significant risks.”
“Hezbollah feels that it is being persecuted and the sequence of military actions will continue,” he added.
“Our goal is to ensure the safe return of Israel’s northern communities to their homes. As time goes by, Hezbollah will pay an increasing price.”
It is not clear how Israel intends to achieve this goal. But reports earlier this week suggested that the general in charge of the IDF’s Northern Command favoured the creation of an Israeli-controlled buffer zone inside southern Lebanon.
In his speech, Hassan Nasrallah called the general a fool and said that any such move would have dire consequences for Israel.
The Iranian economy has long been struggling under the weight of decades of international sanctions,…
Despite an Israeli court challenge to the plans by Bedouin Palestinians living in the area…
South Korea’s presidential office condemned North Korea’s launch of more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles…
Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said on Wednesday (Aug 19) that Beijing was “actively considering”…
Lebanon has handed Syria a former general who served under the ousted regime of Bashar…
Key points‘Rushing’ to elections could fuel conflict, says CommissionHundreds of ceasefire violations confirmedPeace deal still…