Categories: Top Stories

US charges Hamas leadership over 7 October attack on Israel


In a video statement on Tuesday, Mr Garland said the defendants were responsible for “financing and directing a decades-long campaign to murder American citizens and endanger the security of the United States”.

The group also “led Hamas’s efforts to destroy the state of Israel and murder civilians in support of that aim”.

He noted the 7 October attack on Israel by Hamas, in which the group “murdered entire families” in “the deadliest massacre of Jews since the Holocaust”.

“They murdered the elderly and they murdered young children. They weaponised sexual violence against women, including rape and genital mutilation.”

He added that during the attack the group “murdered over 1,200 people” and “perpetrated the deadliest massacre of Jews since the Holocaust”.

Other Hamas leaders charged include former leader Ismail Haniyeh; Marwan Issa, the deputy leader of the organisation’s armed wing; Khaled Mashaal, who leads the group outside Gaza and the West Bank; along with Mohammed Deif and Ali Baraka.

The charges include conspiracy to bomb a place of public use resulting in death, conspiracy to finance terrorism and material support for acts of terrorism resulting in death.

The justice department’s complaint notes that all the “defendants are either deceased or remain at large”.

Haniyeh, Issa and Deif have all been reported killed in the past few months in attacks that were either claimed by or attributed to Israel.

The attorney general referred in Tuesday’s remarks to the killing last week of US-Israeli hostage Hersh Goldberg-Polin, 23, in addition to 42 other American citizens killed in the 7 October attack and 10 taken hostage.

“We are investigating Hersh’s murder, and each and every one of Hamas’ brutal murders of Americans, as an act of terrorism,” Mr Garland said.

If convicted, the group faces a maximum penalty of life in prison or a death sentence.

The charges were filed in February, but were kept under wraps until Tuesday in case the US had the opportunity to arrest any of the accused, an unnamed justice department official told CBS News, the BBC’s US partner.

Over the weekend, President Joe Biden condemned the Hamas killing of Goldberg-Polin, calling it “as tragic as it is reprehensible”.

“Make no mistake, Hamas leaders will pay for these crimes,” Mr Biden said.

Meanwhile, the UK has defended its decision to ban some weapons sales to Israel over concerns about how they might be used in Gaza.

Hamas attacked southern Israel on 7 October, killing about 1,200 people and taking another 251 hostage.

More than 40,000 people have been killed in Gaza since then in Israel’s ongoing military campaign, according to the territory’s Hamas-run health ministry.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

Trump envoy Kushner meets Hamas leader to push Gaza peace plan

Whilst in Egypt, Kushner also met Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi. According to Israeli media…

1 day ago

First Person: Syrians lead efforts to clear rubble and rebuild lives

The conflict there killed hundreds of thousands of people, displaced millions, and caused severe damage…

1 day ago

Gen Z women are teaching their mums about cycle syncing and periods

Iqra Wasim from Fishponds in Bristol has struggled with PMOS symptoms such as painful acne…

2 days ago

Men are turning to penis fillers, but are they safe?

Prof Vaibhav Modgil, an andrologist and consultant urological surgeon for the NHS in Manchester, has…

2 days ago

Qatar denies capturing three Iranian pilots after downing fighter jets

Iran has called for the release of three Iranian pilots it said were captured by…

2 days ago

Eleven killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon, authorities say

Eleven people have been killed in Israeli strikes in southern Lebanon, authorities say, in one…

2 days ago