Categories: Middle East

Lebanon: Crisis deepens amid escalating conflict and funding shortfalls



Since the start of the military operation by Israel in Gaza in October 2023, in response to the terror attacks by Hamas and other Palestinian armed groups, nearly 200,000 people have been displaced along the “Blue Line” between southern Lebanon and northern Israel.

A further 150,000 people remain within ten kilometres of the UN-patrolled frontier in areas of south Lebanon that are impacted daily by shelling and airstrikes, Imran Riza, UN Humanitarian Coordinator in the country told journalists in New York via video link from Beirut.

In the past week alone, 130 civilians were killed in Lebanon, including 21 paramedics and at least three journalists, he added.

We keep repeating the message more needs to be done to end these hostilities, to find a diplomatic political solution, and immediately and continuously to protect civilians and humanitarian workers,” he said.

Challenging situation

Mr. Riza highlighted that even before the war in Gaza, Lebanon was on a downward spiral, marked by a protracted political, financial, and socio-economic crisis.

“Now, in 2024, those in need have reached 3.7 million people, including crisis-affected Lebanese, Syrians, Palestinians, and other migrants. The conflict has further eroded the capacity of the state to tackle political, economic and security challenges,” he said.

People’s livelihoods have been devastated. Their access to water, electricity and healthcare has been affected. Children and parents are suffering psychological trauma.”

He added that humanitarians are responding to the needs of the displaced as well as those remaining in frontline areas, despite insecurity, access challenges and insufficient funding.

Imran Riza, UN Humanitarian Coordinator for Lebanon speaks to the press (via video).

Resources needed

The senior humanitarian official also emphasized that despite limited funding – only about 25 percent of what is needed – UN and aid partners reached about one million people in need so far this year, including at least 180,000 people affected by the conflict in southern Lebanon.

“We continue to do our best to improve our ability to reach people in need, strengthening our coordination, prioritising our efforts to help the most vulnerable, negotiating access for assessments and distributions – but we need more resources and funding,” he stressed.

For the ongoing response to assist up to 290,000 conflict-affected people in the country, humanitarians require about $110 million between August and the end of the year, he added.

However, should there be a further escalation, they would need even more.

“In terms of preparedness right now, we are calling for an additional $36.4 million to pre-positioned food, water, medicines and non-food items such as hygiene kits and shelter materials for immediate use in case of escalation,” Mr. Riza said.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

Gaza: Multiple deadly Israeli strikes in under 24 hours

Verified videos show the aftermath of Tuesday and Wednesday's strikes in Gaza City which show…

1 hour ago

Israel opens up tenders for controversial West Bank settlement project

Israel has built about 160 settlements housing 700,000 Jews since it occupied the West Bank…

3 hours ago

Salmonella outbreak: What we know so far

The vaccination of commercial hens against common salmonella strains, which began in the mid-1990s in…

3 hours ago

Israeli army orders criminal investigation into killing of Palestinian girl Hind Rajab in Gaza

The Israeli army has ordered a criminal investigation into the killing in Gaza of five-year-old…

6 hours ago

UK salmonella outbreak leaves one dead and hundreds ill

A person has died and hundreds have fallen ill with salmonella food poisoning in an…

7 hours ago

Sudan war: 200,000 newly displaced as fighting and floods intensify

In an alert, the agency also warned that relief access has been disrupted further by…

7 hours ago