Categories: Top Stories

Gaza war: Israeli strike on school kills 12, civil defence says


Women and children can be heard screaming and seen running from the dust-enveloped Mustafa Hafez school in a video posted on social media showing the immediate aftermath of Tuesday morning’s strike.

The camera then pans to show rubble on the ground beside the completely flattened remains of a two-storey building.

“We were sitting safely, we did not see the explosion,” witness Umm Mohammed later told Reuters news agency.

“The people are gone, they’re dead. They are under the rubble.”

Civil Defence spokesman Mahmoud Basal said in the afternoon that rescue crews had so far recovered the bodies of 12 people.

He said the strike had targeted the entire wing of the school, where he estimated that 700 displaced people had been living.

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said aircraft had conducted a “a precise strike on terrorists who were operating within a Hamas command and control centre” which had been embedded inside the school and used to plan and launch attacks against its troops and Israel.

“Prior to the strike, numerous steps were taken to mitigate the risk of harming civilians, including the use of precise munitions, aerial surveillance and additional intelligence,” it added.

The IDF accused Hamas of violating international law by operating within civilian infrastructure and exploiting Gaza’s civilian population – allegations which Hamas has previously denied.

Earlier this month, the UN Human Rights Office condemned what it called the “increasing frequency” of Israeli strikes on schools sheltering displaced people and accused the IDF of conducting them “with apparent disregard for the high rate of civilian fatalities”.

The warning after at least 70 Palestinians were killed in an air strike on al-Taba’een school in Gaza City, according to the director of a local hospital.

The IDF said the school had “served as an active Hamas and Islamic Jihad military facility”, and that it had confirmed the identities of 31 “terrorists” who were killed.

The UN said at the time that it had been at least the 21st strike on a school serving as a shelter since 4 July and that they had resulted in at least 274 fatalities.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

Gaza: Multiple deadly Israeli strikes in under 24 hours

Verified videos show the aftermath of Tuesday and Wednesday's strikes in Gaza City which show…

1 hour ago

Israel opens up tenders for controversial West Bank settlement project

Israel has built about 160 settlements housing 700,000 Jews since it occupied the West Bank…

3 hours ago

Salmonella outbreak: What we know so far

The vaccination of commercial hens against common salmonella strains, which began in the mid-1990s in…

3 hours ago

Israeli army orders criminal investigation into killing of Palestinian girl Hind Rajab in Gaza

The Israeli army has ordered a criminal investigation into the killing in Gaza of five-year-old…

7 hours ago

UK salmonella outbreak leaves one dead and hundreds ill

A person has died and hundreds have fallen ill with salmonella food poisoning in an…

7 hours ago

Sudan war: 200,000 newly displaced as fighting and floods intensify

In an alert, the agency also warned that relief access has been disrupted further by…

7 hours ago