Categories: Top Stories

Lebanon: Israeli strike kills 10, says health minister


Israel and Hezbollah have traded near daily fire across the border since the 7 October attack on Israel by Palestinian militants prompted an Israeli invasion of Gaza with the aim of eliminating Hamas.

Tensions have escalated further in recent weeks after Israel killed a senior Hezbollah commander, Fuad Shukr, in Hezbollah’s stronghold in southern Beirut. Hezbollah’s leader, Hassan Nasrallah, has vowed to respond to the assassination.

It comes as international mediators have urged Israel and Hamas to agree a ceasefire deal in upcoming talks, amid fears the war in Gaza could spiral into a regional conflict.

Iran has dismissed calls from Western leaders to refrain from retaliating against Israel for the assassination of Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh in its capital, Tehran, last month.

But there are indications that Iran may have decided to delay its response amid the efforts for a ceasefire in Gaza.

Mr Abiad, however, said Israel’s actions suggested it had no interest in a deal.

He also said that a woman and her two children were among the dead in Nabatieh, and that a further five people were in a critical condition.

Hossain Tohmaz, the owner of one of the buildings hit, said it was a “100% civilian facility”, where people worked and lived.

“This is a hangar used for manufacturing iron, and that is a warehouse where we park trucks for loading goods like solar panels. The workers live and sleep on the top floor,” he said.

A few hours later, Hezbollah said it had fired Katyusha rockets at Ayelet HaShahar, a kibbutz north of the Sea of Galilee.

The IDF said it had it had detected 55 launches from Lebanon, some of which had fallen in “open areas”.

“Multiple fires were ignited in the area and Israel Fire and Rescue Services are currently operating at the scene to extinguish them,” it wrote in an update on Telegram.

A short while later, Hezbollah said it had attacked an Israeli military position in Marj.

The IDF said one soldier had been severely injured and another lightly injured as a result of a projectile launched from Lebanon that had fallen on Misgav Am, which sits next to the Israel-Lebanon border.

“The soldiers were evacuated to a hospital for medical treatment and their families have been notified,” it added.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

Gaza: Multiple deadly Israeli strikes in under 24 hours

Verified videos show the aftermath of Tuesday and Wednesday's strikes in Gaza City which show…

1 hour ago

Israel opens up tenders for controversial West Bank settlement project

Israel has built about 160 settlements housing 700,000 Jews since it occupied the West Bank…

3 hours ago

Salmonella outbreak: What we know so far

The vaccination of commercial hens against common salmonella strains, which began in the mid-1990s in…

3 hours ago

Israeli army orders criminal investigation into killing of Palestinian girl Hind Rajab in Gaza

The Israeli army has ordered a criminal investigation into the killing in Gaza of five-year-old…

6 hours ago

UK salmonella outbreak leaves one dead and hundreds ill

A person has died and hundreds have fallen ill with salmonella food poisoning in an…

7 hours ago

Sudan war: 200,000 newly displaced as fighting and floods intensify

In an alert, the agency also warned that relief access has been disrupted further by…

7 hours ago