Categories: Top Stories

Israel’s ‘serious military failures’ led to Gaza aid workers’ deaths, says Australia


“The military advocate general of Israel is still to decide on further action,” she said in a statement on Friday.

The IDF had launched an internal investigation amid intense international pressure and sacked senior officers after acknowledging that the strike was a “serious failure” and a “grave mistake”.

The charity’s team had been authorised by the Israeli military to help transfer aid supplies from the coast to a warehouse. The convoy was hit in the Gazan city of Deir al-Balah when drone operators did not follow rules and thought WCK’s cars were carrying Hamas gunmen, the IDF’s inquiry said.

WCK founder José Andrés had accused Israeli forces of targeting his aid workers “systematically, car by car”.

While WCK recognised at the time that the IDF’s admission of failure was an important step forward, it called for an independent investigation into the deadly attack.

“It is also clear from their preliminary investigation that the IDF has deployed deadly force without regard to its own protocols, chain of command and rules of engagement,” WCK said in a statement in April.

“We demand the creation of an independent commission to investigate the killings of our WCK colleagues. The IDF cannot credibly investigate its own failure in Gaza.”

Shortly after the attack, the Australian government appointed former defence force chief Mark Binskin as a special advisor on a review into the WCK workers’ deaths.

Ms Wong said at the time that Mr Binskin would examine the “sufficiency and appropriateness of the steps taken by the Israeli government” in relation to the incident.

Following the release of the review on Friday, Ms Wong said the Australian government would implement all of Mr Binskin’s recommendations, including calls for Israel to improve coordination with humanitarian organisations working on the ground.

The IDF had also said that it had formally reprimanded three commanders for their overall responsibility in the strikes, and that those who carried out the attack could face criminal prosecution.

Ms Wong said Israel is still in the process of determining accountability.

“Our expectation remains that there be transparency about the military advocate general’s process and decision,” she added.

More than 250 aid workers have been killed in Gaza since October 7, 2023, according to the United Nations.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

Trump envoy Kushner meets Hamas leader to push Gaza peace plan

Whilst in Egypt, Kushner also met Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi. According to Israeli media…

18 hours ago

First Person: Syrians lead efforts to clear rubble and rebuild lives

The conflict there killed hundreds of thousands of people, displaced millions, and caused severe damage…

1 day ago

Gen Z women are teaching their mums about cycle syncing and periods

Iqra Wasim from Fishponds in Bristol has struggled with PMOS symptoms such as painful acne…

1 day ago

Men are turning to penis fillers, but are they safe?

Prof Vaibhav Modgil, an andrologist and consultant urological surgeon for the NHS in Manchester, has…

2 days ago

Qatar denies capturing three Iranian pilots after downing fighter jets

Iran has called for the release of three Iranian pilots it said were captured by…

2 days ago

Eleven killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon, authorities say

Eleven people have been killed in Israeli strikes in southern Lebanon, authorities say, in one…

2 days ago