An Israeli reaction had been widely expected after the deadly attack in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights on Saturday, and Israel’s security cabinet had authorised Mr Netanyahu and Mr Gallant to decide how to retaliate.
At least 12 people were killed – mostly children – when a rocket hit a football pitch in Majdal Shams on Saturday.
Israel has blamed Hezbollah, but the group denies any involvement.
It was the deadliest incident near the Israel-Lebanon border since hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah escalated in October.
That escalation came after Hamas’ attack on Israel on 7 October.
Hezbollah – which supports Hamas – opened up a limited second front in Israel’s north, and the two sides have been exchanging fire ever since.
Recent days have seen world leaders urge restraint over fears of an all-out war.
On Tuesday the UK foreign secretary told UK nationals in Lebanon to leave immediately or risk “becoming trapped in a warzone”.
David Lammy has arrived in Qatar along with Defence Secretary John Healey “to “drive forward efforts to bring the conflict in Gaza to an end and to press for de-escalation in the region”, the Foreign Office said.
He said escalation and destabilisation were “in no-one’s interests”, adding: “It is absolutely vital that we engage closely with partners like Qatar, who play a key role in mediating the conflict in Gaza, so that we can bring this devastating war to an end.”
Verified videos show the aftermath of Tuesday and Wednesday's strikes in Gaza City which show…
Israel has built about 160 settlements housing 700,000 Jews since it occupied the West Bank…
The vaccination of commercial hens against common salmonella strains, which began in the mid-1990s in…
The Israeli army has ordered a criminal investigation into the killing in Gaza of five-year-old…
A person has died and hundreds have fallen ill with salmonella food poisoning in an…
In an alert, the agency also warned that relief access has been disrupted further by…