Categories: Top Stories

Relief as Palestinian medical evacuees leave Gaza


But human rights activists have accused Israel of obstructing medical evacuations.

Physicians for Human Rights in Israel and other groups filed a petition in Israel’s High Court of Justice in early June after the Rafah crossing was closed.

Since Israeli forces captured the border area at the start of their ground operation there two months ago, Egypt has refused to reopen the crossing, the only route out of Gaza that does not lead into Israel and previously a main exit point for fleeing civilians and a major channel for aid.

Egyptian officials have insisted that the Gazan side of the crossing must be returned to Palestinian control.

As a result of the court action, the Israeli government committed to establishing a permanent mechanism for allowing regular medical evacuations.

But it has yet to do so, and on Sunday it announced it was cancelling the expected evacuation without saying why.

The Kan public broadcaster reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had made the decision himself, following a deadly Hezbollah attack in the Israeli occupied Golan Heights at the weekend which killed 12 children and teenagers.

That seems to have been quickly reversed. Azza Ahmed Kafarneh, a 57-year-old mother and grandmother suffering from cancer, told the BBC that the patients had prepared to go back home on hearing the news, but were told to stay because “there is a big potential that they will agree for you to leave”.

Nothing is certain in this war, and for those fortunate enough to escape it, the goodbyes are bittersweet.

Sarah Marzouk, a 12-year-old girl who says she lost her foot when her neighbour’s house was bombed, was wiping away tears at the bus station on Sunday.

“I wish that the war would end and that all children like me would be able to come with me and have artificial limbs fitted and receive treatment abroad,” she said. “I also hope that I will return to see my father in peace.”

Ms Ahmed Kafarneh said she wouldn’t leave if she didn’t feel so sick. She hasn’t heard of any medical evacuees who’ve returned to Gaza.

“I am confused between leaving my family and going out to get treated,” she said. “And things maybe will take a longer time and the war maybe will take a long time and things might get worse. Nobody knows.”



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

Erin survived cancer aged 21 – now it’s a race against time for a chance of a baby

Nail technician Erin, who missed two years of work during her cancer treatment, also has…

10 hours ago

Qusra siege eases as UN reaches trapped families, but crisis deepens in Gaza

UN teams on the ground reached the families after they were confined to their homes…

20 hours ago

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

According to local authorities, the disease has killed 2,325 people, surpassing the 2,299 deaths recorded…

20 hours ago

Trump envoy Kushner meets Hamas leader to push Gaza peace plan

Whilst in Egypt, Kushner also met Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi. According to Israeli media…

2 days ago

First Person: Syrians lead efforts to clear rubble and rebuild lives

The conflict there killed hundreds of thousands of people, displaced millions, and caused severe damage…

2 days ago

Gen Z women are teaching their mums about cycle syncing and periods

Iqra Wasim from Fishponds in Bristol has struggled with PMOS symptoms such as painful acne…

2 days ago