Categories: Top Stories

US to resume shipments of 500lb bombs to Israel


The paused weapons shipment had previously caused a diplomatic spat.

At a Senate hearing in May, US Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin announced the pause, saying: “We’ve been very clear… from the very beginning that Israel shouldn’t launch a major attack into Rafah without accounting for and protecting the civilians that are in that battle space.”

“As we have assessed the situation,” he said, “we have paused one shipment of high payload munitions.”

In June, Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu pushed back, publishing a video in which he criticised the US position, saying he had told US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken it was “inconceivable” that weapons and ammunition had been withheld “in the past few months”.

The video, in which Mr Netanyahu spoke English, appeared to be directed at Mr Blinken – and was released one hour before Mr Blinken was due to enter a news conference.

“We genuinely do not know what he’s talking about,” White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre responded.

Following a visit to Washington in late June, Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant said there had been significant progress in resolving the issue, saying “obstacles were removed and bottlenecks were addressed”.

On Thursday, Mr Gallant met US envoy Brett McGurk and discussed “the delivery of critical munitions, some of which will be sent to Israel in the coming days”, according to a statement from Mr Gallant’s office.

Despite the two-month delay in bomb shipments, Israel has continued to receive other types of U.S. weaponry.

But the continued halt in supplying 2,000lb bombs is likely to remain a point of contention between the two allies.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

Erin survived cancer aged 21 – now it’s a race against time for a chance of a baby

Nail technician Erin, who missed two years of work during her cancer treatment, also has…

8 hours ago

Qusra siege eases as UN reaches trapped families, but crisis deepens in Gaza

UN teams on the ground reached the families after they were confined to their homes…

18 hours ago

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

According to local authorities, the disease has killed 2,325 people, surpassing the 2,299 deaths recorded…

18 hours ago

Trump envoy Kushner meets Hamas leader to push Gaza peace plan

Whilst in Egypt, Kushner also met Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi. According to Israeli media…

1 day ago

First Person: Syrians lead efforts to clear rubble and rebuild lives

The conflict there killed hundreds of thousands of people, displaced millions, and caused severe damage…

2 days ago

Gen Z women are teaching their mums about cycle syncing and periods

Iqra Wasim from Fishponds in Bristol has struggled with PMOS symptoms such as painful acne…

2 days ago