Categories: Top Stories

Israel-Lebanon: Hezbollah fires 200 rockets and drones


There have been almost daily exchanges of fire across the Israel-Lebanon border since the day after the start of the war between Israel and Hamas in Gaza on 7 October.

Hezbollah has said it is acting in support of the Palestinian group that is also backed by Iran. Both groups are proscribed as terrorist organisations by Israel, the UK and other countries.

So far, more than 400 people have been reported killed in Lebanon, the vast majority of them Hezbollah fighters, and 25 people in Israel, mostly soldiers.

The hostilities have also displaced tens of thousands of people from border communities in northern Israel and southern Lebanon.

“The response to the assassination of the dear leader Hajj Abu Nimah [Nasser]… started last night and quickly,” senior Hezbollah official Hashem Safieddine warned at Nasser’s funeral in Beirut on Thursday.

“This series will continue to target new sites that the enemy did not imagine would be hit.”

Israeli government spokesman David Mencer said its military was “countering this Hezbollah aggression”.

“We will use all and every means necessary to restore security to our northern border,” he told a briefing.

A spokeswoman for the UN peacekeeping force in Lebanon, Unifil, said the exchanges were now extending deeper into both sides of the border, and called on both Israel and Hezbollah to show restraint.

“We’re very concerned… because any exchange, any incident, can escalate into something greater if there is a misunderstanding,” Kandice Ardiel told the BBC.

There has been a flurry of diplomatic efforts to de-escalate tensions in recent weeks, with the UN and US warning of the potentially catastrophic consequences of a war that could also draw in Iran and other allied groups.

Israeli officials have repeatedly warned that they are ready for a war if diplomacy fails. Defence Minister Yoav Gallant said on Wednesday that the military would soon be ready to “take any action required in Lebanon, or to reach an arrangement from a position of strength”.

Hezbollah, which is seen as a significantly superior foe to Hamas, has said it does not want a full-out war with Israel and that it will observe in Lebanon any ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza. But it has also warned Israel that it would fight “without rules” if there was a war.



Source link

gulftimes

Recent Posts

US Navy Reveals AIM-424 Malice as Next-Generation Long-Range Missile to Counter China’s Expanding Maritime Strike Reach

The United States Navy has publicly revealed the AIM-424 Malice, a next-generation long-range air-to-air missile…

2 hours ago

Canada-US Trade Rift Deepens as Carney Rejects ‘Bad Deal’ and Announces Retaliatory Tariffs

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney has announced retaliatory tariffs against the United States after trade…

15 hours ago

Pakistan’s Suspected Chinese LD-2000 Acquisition Could Deepen Beijing’s Defence Influence and Reshape South Asian Air Warfare Dynamics

Pakistan’s suspected procurement of China’s LD-2000 close-in air defence system could carry implications extending well…

1 day ago

Türkiye’s FNSS Reveals U-MAV Unmanned Amphibious Vehicle to Perform Dangerous First-Wave Missions, Crewed Assault Vehicles

Turkish armoured vehicle manufacturer FNSS has unveiled a new heavy unmanned amphibious combat platform designed…

1 day ago

The 'hidden gem' offering a place to grow, connect and heal

Annadale Community Garden Group is one of four groups or individuals in the running for…

1 day ago

Why Did Trump Cut South Korea-US Military Drills, and What Does He Want From North Korea’s Kim Jong Un This Time?

The United States and South Korea have begun their annual joint military exercises under an…

2 days ago